Full Restoration D91 MOP

bris jas

Impressive welding, did you brace anything, when you cut out large sections. Welding is really enjoyable, and making sections from scratch.

When making the battery tray, did you manage to shape the bonnet release, or did you just keep it flat?

Did you ever try polishing the metal before welding? Try it next time, its a different effect! When i say polish, its as clean as clean can be without actual polish.

You are on the right side of your project now, its all forward from here. Its really enjoyable doing something for yourself and no one else.

Thanks again for the comments guys,

2 hours ago, CRAZYDAVE said:

Excellent work 🙂 what is your preferred method for dressing welds and blending them nice and smooth?

Main thing is to make sure everything is as clean as can be, after using mig for the weld i grind first (making sure it doesn't get to hot) before finishing with 80 grit flap disc. This will leave a nice smooth finish, it then takes filler to finish off to a complete smooth finish before primer, then fine stopper, flatting this before priming again.

1 hour ago, ®evo03 said:

Impressive welding, did you brace anything, when you cut out large sections. Welding is really enjoyable, and making sections from scratch.

When making the battery tray, did you manage to shape the bonnet release, or did you just keep it flat?

Did you ever try polishing the metal before welding? Try it next time, its a different effect! When i say polish, its as clean as clean can be without actual polish.

You are on the right side of your project now, its all forward from here. Its really enjoyable doing something for yourself and no one else.

I did brace the front of the car before removing a chassis leg and to make sure everything is square, this can take time but must be done to avoid any issues later with panels etc not fitting correctly. this car was exceptionally bad as both legs were gone so this made the front that much weaker.

I do clean the metal to a nice smooth finish before welding, its just something i have always done.

Yes i did shape the bonnet release hole as close as i could, i think there is a picture of this earlier in the build.

Edited by bris jas
  • Like 1

Yes better look at picture now, didnt know i could zoom in, how did you make that? Top work, was it a section of tube cut at an angle.

Im sure you know about the sound deading around sunroof and to not refit it, you can also extend you sunroof drain pipes out through the sills, keeps all your good hard work free from when water. Golf outer seal fits also! 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, ®evo03 said:

Yes better look at picture now, didnt know i could zoom in, how did you make that? Top work, was it a section of tube cut at an angle.

Im sure you know about the sound deading around sunroof and to not refit it, you can also extend you sunroof drain pipes out through the sills, keeps all your good hard work free from when water. Golf outer seal fits also! 

I didn't have the correct size tube  to hand so i bent some metal around the correct size washer which would form the hole for the grommet, welded these together then trimmed the metal until i was happy with the angle and then welded it in place.

I have removed the foam from the sunroof/roof which tends to get wet and partially cause the rot, so hopefully this will help. I had to think about the drain pipes as i thought you were on about the rears which go through grommets in the floor, of course the fronts i will look at that though as sound like a good idea. Thanks for the heads up!

Just on your rear drain pipes, you can extend them underneath to the lowest part of the car, opel exited them pretty high.

You can extend the front by buying 6mm plastic joint, 8mm grommets, this means drilling you new sills, but better than destroying new sills. 

Im sure there are plenty of original pipe kept by members who scrap them.

Golf mk2 seals fit, also check your pipes are clean, if they are blocked, your gonna have a flood above your head.

Cracking project, 

• 1 month later...

Ok, i've been busy on the car over the last couple of weeks. I got the front calipers back from Big Red, new goodridge brake hoses all round. I went for the retro looking ones(matt black).

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Excuse the dust!

Brake system fully bled and working, new rear drums etc and front discs also master cylinder.

Once i had fitted the engine block and gearbox back in to the car i then started to prep the body for paint.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Firstly a 2k primer

This was flatted using 600grit wet and dry. Then remasked ready for the top coat, i also masked the garage walls etc.

I left it a couple of days to harden as no baking facility here and then flat and polished the panels

I could then start to fit some body trim once i had painted the rear 1/4 window and top of door aperature in satin black

I had loads of bits back from the metal finishers this week so have been able to start fitting the car back up

Dash is back in now along with drip rail mouldings and door rubbers, next step is to rebuild the engine and try and get her running. Once this is achieved i will then prep and paint the other panels.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers guys.

The metal finishers are at www.bryonymetaltreatments.mfbiz.com based here in Bristol.

I had 2 tubs worth of bits done, including the above for £50.00 which i thought was a bargain. Took them 2 months so next time i'll get bits to them once the car is stipped as they are very busy.

• 4 weeks later...

Lately i have been concentrating on getting the engine built up, takes so much time cleaning every part and replacing what i can ie, water pump head gasket etc.

Bit of fun with the exhaust manifold, painted it with exhaust high temp paint but it won't set properly until the exhaust gets hot so plastic gloves were needed handling that as got fed up with silver hands!

Goods news though engine built up rad in water oil etc turn the key turns over but didn't start, i had it running before strip down but then i remembered another topic on here that mentioned the fuel pressure regulator is wrong in the Haynes manual that i had followed, checked this and yep i had it wrong.

Anyway put the pipes the right way around and it fired up, tweaked the timing a little to get it sounding right and ticking over, left to get hot so well happy there. I will give it a proper tune up once finished.

I polished the inlet manifold with a wire wheel in a drill and using different grades of wheel, took some time but happy with the result.

Painted some more panels and have refitted the front wings, bonnet, boot and doors

Back end is almost complete, just need a couple of bulbs and number plate.

Earlier i fitted the headlamps, wiper motors and horn. Once the side skirts are painted and fitted i will push the car outside and wax oil everywhere before i start putting the interior back in.

• Like 8

I have loved this build, its bloody brilliant! If i was you i would (unless you already have) fill the back arches, chassis legs, doors and sills with Waxoyl before you fit the skirts as it can run all over and sometimes you cannot clean it off, also leave the doors open when you do it as it will run out onto the skirts. 

great build.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the comments again guys!

I have started to fit up the interior now, on the rear shelf are the original box speakers. I want to keep the original look but have speakers that i can hear so i went about searching for a modern 3 way speaker that i could make fit in the boxes.

I found these speakers, Pioneer TS-A4633i 6" x 4" 3-Way.  I had to cut the front of the box to make these fit and also the back a bit for the cables

Then just drop the speaker in

You can see how much larger it is than the original. Next i reinstalled the rear shelf and fitted the boxes, i think it looks a treat!

I have fitted the stereo in and they sound pretty good so well happy with them.

After getting the nuts for the front section of the rear arch trim, i could fit the rear quarter inner trims and rear seat, i have also chosen to fit 3 point rear static belts

Edited by bris jas
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Quick pic of the wheels after i'd painted them

Painted them inside and out.

Car is now finished and today drove it on the road to the MOT station, drove really well with no issues :thumbup

While the car was on the ramp other mechanics kept walking over to it and the tester kept pointing at things, made me a bit nervous what he was pointing at, seemed like ages and he came back into reception to see me with a smile on his face and said!!!!!!!! i've had to fail it as it hasn't got the original radio, i then explained it was at home and will be kept with car, had a bit of banter and he handed me my new MOT :D well happy.

Boss came out and asked what it was worth and loads of questions, before he asked i mentioned it wasn't for sale, the garage used to sell them back in the day and he remembered them and always fancied one.

I will be valeting the car over the next few days before i post up the finished Pic's

• Like 6

Can't wait to see the finished car Jason, 

Do you reckon you might be able to bring it to the Bristol Classic Car show over the weekend 16th - 17th June or failing that are you going to bring it to Powderham Castle over the weekend 7th - 8th July ?