New swan neck

H-400

1 hour ago, H-400 said:

The starterengine gives an extra 1.5Hp, F1 technology😁

These things are coming, 48v 15bhp+ combines starter/alternators for a little low rpm boost 😁

https://www.greencarcongress.com/2019/07/20190702-conti.html
https://gmauthority.com/blog/gm/gm-engines/luk/

Edited by Jessopia74
Fixed link
  • Like 1

The GM2.4 engine is the same block as my Insignia 2.0Turbo, lets throw the washing machines's engine on it!

Hi Andy, the heat shield is the cleaned original one. Looks nice after sanding and respraying with the rattle can. (Heat resistant paint)

• Haha 1

When I resprayed the first part of the exhaust it was wet and cold... So under the carport and stole the hairdryer of the Missus:

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Don't tell it further... But the metal was nice warm and spraying the paint was no problemo😊

When I went under the car to fit the exhaust my eye felt on a spot with rust! Just behind where the front axle is bolted on the chassis-rail😬. So had to remove the upper wishbone-, the shockabsorber and the caliper together with the disc& hub and steering knuckle.  Grinded the rust out and welded a small piece into the hole. Painted everything with hammerite but when I wanted to spray it with stonechip everything wrinkled... So again paint of, degreasing and paint again, it was one of those days.

Cleaning the injectors: Did this outside cause the fumes are not healthy. Fitted some silicone lines on the injectors and filled it with some carb cleaner. Gave it 2bar airpressure to check if they closed nice and activated the injectors with a selfmade cable. Used the batterypower of the Insignia:

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

After opening and testing the injectors I let them so the cleaner could do its work and later I sprayed them again. Fitting the injectors again with new rubbers and feul lines&clamps:

This is the Gates tube ethanol proof:

Have a nice Sunday-evening, Herman

• Like 5

11 hours ago, H-400 said:

The GM2.4 engine is the same block as my Insignia 2.0Turbo, lets throw the washing machines's engine on it!

Hi Andy, the heat shield is the cleaned original one. Looks nice after sanding and respraying with the rattle can. (Heat resistant paint)

The heat shield looks good Herman 🙂

• 2 weeks later...

Was together with my son a bit ill so had to stay home, took this week free (had some days leave to take) to be sure I made nobody sick at the Barracks but I saw a member of my platoon in the village. While we kept necessary distance he said my unit sended everybody home till 3th of April, just to be sure there are healthy troopers if Belgium would go in a total lock-down. I went 7 times overseas to Africa, Somalia, middle east and closer to Kosovo, Bosnia and so on. But yet we have to fight something that is invisible, and it takes a lot of discipline to beat it. I phoned my company sergeant major to inform I'm going in retirement on the first of April... He had to inform my Company-commander about this and called me again. So I have to stay home, no goodbye. Gives me an awkward feeling, 38 years of service... When this corona thing is beaten I will throw the party I had to cancell!

Did some work on the Manta, fitting the injection manifold, cleaning and retaping the injection loom and some minor things:

Keep save & healthy, Herman

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, H-400 said:

Was together with my son a bit ill so had to stay home, took this week free (had some days leave to take) to be sure I made nobody sick at the Barracks but I saw a member of my platoon in the village. While we kept necessary distance he said my unit sended everybody home till 3th of April, just to be sure there are healthy troopers if Belgium would go in a total lock-down. I went 7 times overseas to Africa, Somalia, middle east and closer to Kosovo, Bosnia and so on. But yet we have to fight something that is invisible, and it takes a lot of discipline to beat it. I phoned my company sergeant major to inform I'm going in retirement on the first of April... He had to inform my Company-commander about this and called me again. So I have to stay home, no goodbye. Gives me an awkward feeling, 38 years of service... When this corona thing is beaten I will throw the party I had to cancell!

Did some work on the Manta, fitting the injection manifold, cleaning and retaping the injection loom and some minor things:

Keep save & healthy, Herman

Party to celebrate more time to work on your own stuff 😁

• Like 1

Bolted all the nuts and bolts of the rear axle on their torque, a job still had to do. Same time I checked the chassis on forgotten spots (stonechip) to be sure I can fit the exhaust line. The engine bay is looking ready to start the engine: 

Don't know what to do with the HT leads, they look just thrown on the engine. Some old engines have a tube where they are fitted in, or something like a rail on the Omega2.4:

The centre part of the exhaust never fitted on the first part so I used a universal joint but after years it was too rusty to use again. The Corona-lockup forced me to create a better solution cause my car-parts shop is closed. So I welded a tube on that part and gave it a fresh paint:

And my Son prepared a valve-cover to set the hydraulic valves:

The old one was ruined cause I drove over it...

Have a nice weekend and stay healthy,

Herman

• Like 4

No new pictures, started the engine without spark-plugs to check if the oil pressure is ok. Did this also before I fitted the engine in the car but got to be sure... Then I asked my son to fit the ignition on the engine and we started the engine  without feul but with "start-pilot" just to be sure the ignition is doing his work. The engine came alive so we are happy the engine runs. So tomorrow feul in the tank, activating the pump (on the fuses) to check all the new feul lines for leaks. The exhaust is fitted (hate those rubbers on the midle section) so we can start that engine tomorrow.  Am proud of my son, he is 19 and in those Corona-days he takes his responsibilities. He has got to miss his friends and doesn't hang around so that is something I respect.  I helped him to fit some Manta things on his 20 year old Opel Corsa, will take pics! 

Stay healthy, Herman

• Like 3

Thanks Ian, but that video will have to wait... The smart-phone was ready, tried the contact and as usual I heard the humming sound of the pump for one second as it has to. So I gave the pump power via the fuses to make sure the feul lines are filled and to check them for leaks. After a few seconds I heard something like a knock and the pump stayed dead. Checked ofcourse the electrical system but there was power. New filters, new lines, new feul so there must be something blocking the pump. I ordered a new one at Thomas Edelschmiede, my local parts shop is closed cause of corona...And went for a long walk together with the Missus to clear my head.

Did some smaller jobs: The fine threadstuds of the backpanel were getting loose, gleud them with a washer and a fine nut:

One of those spots to check, noticed nu rust but got to be sure:

And while we are waiting for the pump I started working on my truck: The roof must go off! (Sorry, off topic)

The roof leaks and the total height of the truck is too high, those French moneymakers of the "Peage" will not empty my pockets!

And the pump has arrived:

Have a nice day and stay healthy, 

Herman

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, H-400 said:

No Jess, hydraulic ones but I know why you asked. They had their first set-up and when the cooling system is installed I will set them with running engine.

Ah, yeah makes sense , thought you might have swapped the cam to something tasty 😀

Thanks all; want to make this engine torque-friendly. The 2,4 is a nice basis but want to upgrade it with a copy of a "Schwedenkopf" and some changes on the injection system. More about this later, enjoy your Sunday.

Been working on the truck, and because  of the truck had to make my carport higher. So not much done on the GSI. Did some cleaning on parts as the alternator etc... The oil and cooling fluid has arrived that I ordered on internet but today is not a day to hide myself in the garage. 

Today 20th of april is exactly 30 years ago I did this:

• Like 8

Thanks guys, @ Jess: She is great, the girlfriends she got are the wifes of my club/car mates. And she can drive the "400", also the GSI. Once she said " The back side of the car (Manta) wanted to overtake the nose but I steered the car the right way and everything went OK"

So I am a happy man...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Looks they stole the roof of my truck😁, the walls are cut off and the back side of the frame is missing!

As you all can see it fits under the carport, so I can work when it rains... Back to the Manta!  After the test-start fitting the exhaust so the our ears are protected:

So the cooler and the tubes are all installed, fluid in and after warming up the sound of the valves became more silence and we fitted the rocker cover my son made for me. Setting the hydraulic valves:

There was not much oil spilled into the engine bay, after setting the hydraulic valves the GT rocker cover went back and the engine bay looked rather complete:

Had to open a caliper that was stuck in closed position, hoped it was not the pressure regulator but it was some rust that was easy removed from the piston:

Have all a nice evening, stay safe!

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Did some things yesterday, caliper back on it's place and bleeded the brakes with my son:

Let him check the timing with the stroboscoop-timing-lamp, things they don't have to do on modern cars. Showed him what influence the rpm's do and also advanced or later timing:

The same time we checked the Co2 so the car is Greta Thingberg Proof:

Today I went for a long walk with the Missus to keep our condition in shape, 

Have a nice weekend, stay healthy!

• Like 3