New swan neck

H-400

When we don't pass the MOT the car is not insured, so some cars drive around in Belgium without insurance. But the police has got scanners to read the plates and automatically they know if the car is MOT'd and insured. They use also scanners to check if your car is allowed to enter the big cities (Antwerp-Brussels-Gent) cause of the euronorm of your car. If your car's exhaust is not clean enough you are not allowed to enter Antwerp, but a seaship that burns every day 10.000 liters heavy feul is allowed to sail into Antwerp😕.

On 09/07/2020 at 14:05, H-400 said:

Just a short video of the car driving out the garage, my little truck makes it narrow:

I watched that vid and for a split second I thought  " there's no driver in that car" Then realised it is an LHD!!!  Is that what they call DEMENTIA?

Edited by Julian
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, H-400 said:

Didn't you know? In Belgium we don't need drivers in our car, Tesla technology in the Manta! Nice when we leave the pub🍺.

First time I ever drove a car that had that sort of technology was in Belgium through to Holland. Big Volvo with pilot think it was called. Still needed to touch steering wheel every 30secs or so, but it pretty much drove itself on the windy A roads too!
never thought I would like it, but I did lol

• Like 1

My son drove also the GSI, he really liked the car. We passed an Opel dealer and stopped because we saw this:

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

In the garage we found a complete naked body of a Manta-B and ofcourse we had a nice talk with the owner. Home I checked the oilleak but there was still some oil comming out of the front of the rocker cover. So today I took the cover off but nothing found that could be the reason... Fitted everything back with gasket sealer we use on aeroplanes, the one that never dries so vibrations don't hurt the sealing.

This afternoon we are going to take the Manta for another warm run.

• Like 3

Yes it was Jess no vin-numbers and bare painted metal. No undercoating etc, wanted to buy it but not for sale. After our testdrive on the hottest time in the afternoon the leak seems to be gone. The tropical radiator is amazing, it is hot enough to let the birds fall out of the sky but the needle og the temp. gauge goes 1/3 up and never had to use the electrical fan.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, H-400 said:

Yes it was Jess no vin-numbers and bare painted metal. No undercoating etc, wanted to buy it but not for sale. After our testdrive on the hottest time in the afternoon the leak seems to be gone. The tropical radiator is amazing, it is hot enough to let the birds fall out of the sky but the needle og the temp. gauge goes 1/3 up and never had to use the electrical fan.

Everything is for sale at the right price I guess lol

• Like 1

Took the Manta for a long drive together with the Missus. It was not so hot as the other days but with the opened rear windows the temperature was acceptable.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Not the first time we went to that area, this pic was taken some years ago but I'm not going to do this again. The salt was killing my chassis rails:

This pic with the Manta on the same spot, the small chapel had also some restauration work behind it:

Enjoy your Sunday-evening.

• Like 6

• 4 weeks later...

Been a while, the GSI has done 350km's without problems... Went to the oldtimer-storage to get my other one. The GSI is watching his big brother cause he needs attention😦:

Again the same rubber feul line began to leak. This will be the 3th time I fit a new one... The exhaust is nearby so it is dangerous. As you can see I allready wrapped the (original) exhaust but it is still too hot. New (ethanol proof) feul lines in: (The next move is a heat shield)

I used double clamps on the pressure line, want to be sure...

The next thing to do is the starter engine. Sometimes it is as the engine has got too much compression. Feels like the battery is tired. Checked all the electrical connections and stays the same. So starterengine out and open, was fighting with the oilseparator and the wrench:

Opened the starter engine but everything looked ok. Cleaned the surface of that copper thing we call the collector with fine sandpaper. The brushes are still in good condition:

Had a lot of attention to be sure all the contact surfaces were clean, the mass cable in the solenoid and even the surface to the engine block. Fitted the starter engine back on the motor and looks like the problem is solved. Tomorrow we are ggoing to take both Manta's out so I can test it with a hot engine.

Cleaned also the oil catch tank, the sharp eye recognizes the windscreen water bottle of a Manta-A:

Think we are not going to BBQ today! Have a nice weekend all.

• Like 4

Hi all, the trip with the both Manta's was not a succes. I drove first with the "400" and my son next with the GSI. After 20 km's he flashed his high beams and we both stopped. He heard a metal knocking sound on the front-right side of the car.  Checked the wheelhubs/bearings, steering arms etc. but it looked OK. We changed cars and drove back home so I could hear that sound.   Noticed before the two Manta's drive totally different. The GSI is a lot more civilized, the clutch is a lot softer and the gearbox shifts easier. The torque is also higher on low revs. The rear axle likes to lift the car when accelerating. Drove carefully back home and nothing heared... Think it is the left engine mount is worn, when I rev the engine you can see tumble it to the right so gonna check that with a jack under the pulley.

So my son took his Nissan Sunny coupé out and we left again for another drive on those small country lanes. After some time it was the "400" that began to run bad. Was like the ignition felt out on low revs, just for a short moment. Accelerating to the high rounds no problem... Think a tipical AFM problem. Driving the "400" is more working. The clutch feels like a truck and the Getrag 262 needs a firm hand. The engine explodes above 4000 rpm, than the fun begins.

Some pics, you all love them. The high tec catch tank:

Some pics of the GSI:

I will keep you all posted, grts Herman

• Like 4

The old silentblock and aluminium bracket out:

The replacement silentblock in: 

This is what I found on the "old" silentblock: it is cracked all around it:

Started the engine and it feels more silent, gonna take the car out and will try to use the torque of the engine to provoke that sound my Son heared.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 611 said:

Thanks Herman.

I will have to do some googleing as never seen that type. I have seen some that look like thick wire that stick upwards and keep the pipe against the rocker cover.

Andy 

Hi Andy, 

that clip you mentioned is the clip used to hold the injection wiring loom on the 2ltr GTE & Exclusive cars. 

Took the Manta out for testing, on small roads but also on the highway specially on exits where I used a lot of torque in the curves. Looks everything is ok, noticed also while I start the engine it is quieter. There was something as a knock but seems to be ok after fitting the other engine mount. 

Done some work on the "400" but will start another topic.

Have a nice weekend all!

• 1 month later...

Had to take the GSI to the winter storage, my Son took some pics with his smartphone. We lifted the car to the second floor and had a nice look at the chassis. Was surprised the car still looks good after some weeks under the carport:

And if someone is wondering what that Até brake-oil-can is doing in the chassis: High tec catch-can:

We left the car in good company, yes it is a Renault 5 Turbo 2 ( Grp B homologation car):

Have a nice weekend, stay safe👍

• Like 4