New swan neck

H-400

27 minutes ago, H-400 said:

Did some things yesterday, caliper back on it's place and bleeded the brakes with my son:

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Let him check the timing with the stroboscoop-timing-lamp, things they don't have to do on modern cars. Showed him what influence the rpm's do and also advanced or later timing:

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

The same time we checked the Co2 so the car is Greta Thingberg Proof:

Today I went for a long walk with the Missus to keep our condition in shape, 

Have a nice weekend, stay healthy!

Love that comment Herman 🙂 No way Greta is going to love mine!! But i figure i have offset it by not driving anywhere for the last 4 weeks 🙂 Have a great weekend as well Herman, im booking my Saturday self isolating, for car work to see if i can get this injection all setup!

30 minutes ago, 611 said:

Love that comment Herman 🙂 No way Greta is going to love mine!! But i figure i have offset it by not driving anywhere for the last 4 weeks 🙂 Have a great weekend as well Herman, im booking my Saturday self isolating, for car work to see if i can get this injection all setup!

Agreed, I will offset mine by going electric thus year once the Virus is over. But mist of the hardcore greens will not happy even if we lived in straw houses, ate lettuce and never traveled further than our kegs can carry us. 

1 hour ago, H-400 said:

Did some things yesterday, caliper back on it's place and bleeded the brakes with my son:

Let him check the timing with the stroboscoop-timing-lamp, things they don't have to do on modern cars. Showed him what influence the rpm's do and also advanced or later timing:

The same time we checked the Co2 so the car is Greta Thingberg Proof:

Today I went for a long walk with the Missus to keep our condition in shape, 

Have a nice weekend, stay healthy!

😁 great to see the strobe out.

I had to explain and then show a mechanic what Dwell angle was, and how to set it up. His apprentice has not even learned more than the absolute basics of a distributor at college, it seems it’s just not relevant. However they don’t actually learn about the more important programming of ECUs either, so they just do not understand how the timing is adjusted either. 
Pretty sad imo, they are more of breed that replaces the broken part computer terminal says to do.

Hey Jess, about explaining the strobe: While I was in the Somalian civil war I did my military duty's in a platoon of the 3th para-commando unit. I noticed one of our jeeps had a ignition problem so I took it to the maintance and checked it with a Strobo-lamp. While I was doing that a maintanence officer of an other army (Not gonna say what army) noticed me and asked what I was doing. So I said I am doing a check on the timing, he respond and wanted to give me a wooden thing with a 12Volt light and some wires on it. I thanked him but I said I have something better. I showed him the strobo-lamp and while the engine was running the strobo was flashing... He looked at it and was surprised: He said: "Hey mister, your flash-light is broken"    

But what you mentioned about the dwell is something I never explained to my son, thanks for poiting me to that direction. Going to explain that to my son.

To all: We are all petrol heads, thanks for the comments.

Grts, Herman

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, H-400 said:

I was thinking on wrinkle paint, this is not the same rocker cover but gives you all an idea:

heard you got to dry it in an oven, so I have to make sure the oil-fiter is out or her kitchen will smell as my garage😁

Been there! Takes 3 or 4 days for it to clear :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, H-400 said:

I was thinking on wrinkle paint, this is not the same rocker cover but gives you all an idea:

heard you got to dry it in an oven, so I have to make sure the oil-fiter is out or her kitchen will smell as my garage😁

I like that Herman - it looks classy in my view. Go for it!

• Like 2

I'm Going for yellow on mine as I will be using the yellow and gray door flashes and Im going to carry the yellow throughout the car as the accent colour.  My rocker cover is of the Opel GT variety so we will be machining back the fins and Opel logo to bare alloy after powder coating, going to have the DCOE inlets powder coated yellow at the same time.  I did red powder coating on my Morris 1000 rocker cover and a matte silver on the LCB exhaust manifold which all looks rather nice nice with the Old English white coach work. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, plumster said:

That is magnificent....

I'll have to think about that one 🤔

Got it done by the guys who did my alloys 🙂 They do so many colors now, got the crank case covers for the Fireblade done in a very nice flat black!

I drop off & pick up on a regular basis to a local powder coating company, I will have a word with them.

Might just settle for whatever they have jobs in for..... sounds like a cheap option 🙈

Been more busy with this: 

But had some time to fit the new parts of the stabilisation-bar. Didn't gave them much tension cause I wil fit the front brackets while the car is back on its wheels:

The rubbers were still in good condition but I let them sucking some silicon oil in a closed container, had no glycerine...:

And while I was doing that I noticed a drop of cooling fluid on the bottom of the oil pump! I already let the engine running hot several times so that was some panic! The corona-rules don't allow me to visit and order new parts at my local shop, but to be sure I fitted this to test:

Gave it 1bar pressure and after half an our a small drop on the top line of the heater radiator but no leaks at the front... Maybe spilled some while filling.

Edited by H-400
  • Like 4

After some days there was again a drop of cooling fluid hanging on the timing house... Fitted the pressure pump and after an hour I noticed a drop between the waterpump and the timing house. The hole in the waterpump stayed dry, must be a problem with the gasket, I use always those gaskets with the bleu silicone line on it so probably did something wrong:

If you look at 5 o-clock you see a black part, after some peeling it is corrosion, cleaned that part and after degreasing I used this to repair:

I used this several times to repair feul tanks, hydraulic tanks and so on. When we were overseas sometimes you have to repair parts cause there are no new parts. Repaired with this also timing houses of engines in a combat tank...

It is drying yet so will take a pic tomorrow of the repair, fingers crossed😁.

Stay safe, Herman

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everybody, did a lot of things but not on the Manta... Was more working on the truck but after I noticed France is maybe ready to invite us in the summer I want to do this with the Manta! So this pic shows the truck after cutting 18cm from the frame that is a part of the hydraulic lift. Welded everything back together and changed the rubber seals so it all fits:

So this is my blacksmith! No rain, no wind and some space to weld!

Noticed the hand brake cable was not that new so I ordered a new one at the local car parts shop:

Had to cut off an inch of the axhaust pipe so the rubbers were on their original position, after fitting the new handbrake-cable:

Noticed some rust on the seam where the old tow-bar was fitted, I "derusted" everything but I think after some years it wil need some more attention

Have a nice weekend! 

• Like 2