Ascona 1.6

Rapierdave

Didn't know which section to put this in but yesterday i purchased an Ascona to complement my Manta SR Berlinetta.

Some of you will know the car as it belonged to well known club member Paul Newport.

Myself & Stradacab (James Coghlan) went down to Penzance & picked up the Ascona from Paul, he took us on a tour of his workshop which can be best summed up as Manta Land !

The Ascona i have bought off Paul is a 1.6 S & can only be described as stunning.

It is very original but does sport an SR Steering wheel & a 5 speed box but retains the original 4 speed stick & console, it also has a Weber conversion but retains the original air filter box

some of you may notice that its wearing an earlier Grill.

James & i decided to do a temporary (which may become permanent) swap & he now has the later "grey" grill on his Ascona.

So what are my plans for the Ascona,

Red top, 400 rep .......................................................

Nothing ! It is going to stay as original as possible & will be used as a summer leisure car on weekends & to meet up with me Manta mates in the area.

See you all at Billing

Here are a few pics i took today which are a testament to Paul's work he carried out whilst the car was in his ownership.

20130512_090247.jpg20130512_090215.jpg20130512_090324.jpg20130512_090416.jpg20130512_090424.jpg20130512_090432.jpg

• Like 2

I was on the phone to Paul when you and James turned up at the station, he mentioned you were buying it and said how clean it was.

Didn't realize it was this good! Well done great purchase, Hopefully see it soon

Jason

i remember visiting Mantaland in Cornwall when Paul was doing the finnishing touches to the Ascona, a supurb example, what made him sell it?

Incidently its not Mantaland, at Gweek in Cornwall they have the national Seal Sanctury, at Crowless there is the National Manta Sanctury......

What made him sell? He's done like 50 miles in it in two years and he's got a new "mega- project" on so I think the funding will be useful too. It was never really for sale, more sort of available to the correct home! He saved it from modding when he bought it and it won't be modded now. We trundled up from Crowlas to Bristol and it went like a dream.

he's got a new "mega- project" on

I know there are two projects that have never seen the great plains of Billing, may not have even seen the light of day, one A series shape the other Exclusive shape, but new mega project? is this going to give rise to more Cornish UFO sightings?

The arrival of a little mini Newport (who is now 18 months old) meant I was spending less time in the garage so I had a clear out of projects and cars and general clutter. The A Series project went in it's entirely and so did the Cav, all of the spares cars (once I had stripped them) and the Ascona was the last one to go,

I hardly drove it the last two years and although I kept it clean and dry and always in the garage I thought time had come to let it go to a new home, a new owner who will show it to other people and get some miles under it again.

The remaining projects are:

White GTE coupe, simple restoration. Blue V8 Coupe, much modifying and finishing to be done but getting quite close now and the biggest so far, a Black 1967 Chevrolet Camaro SS.

Have fun with the Ascona Dave, I am sad to have sold it but happy you and others will enjoy it.

3 of those cars have been in my Manta workshop ! The other one has parts on it from my Manta workshop. It's a nice feeling when you can look at a picture and know just how good each car is underneath and not just think "ohh, that looks shiny"

Also, not that it matters at all but I prefer the grey grille on HDP and the black grille on James's car, I think the black grille looks better with orange indicators near it to add a splash of colour.
The grilles are on a loan basis. I like the grey cause its more in keeping with the late look I was going for with the facelift bumpers and the front spoiler. Dave wanted to try the black on his, I'm not worried though, if he wants it back I can buy your spare one Paul!

The arrival of a little mini Newport (who is now 18 months old)

I had no idea, thats why we haven't seen much of you on the forum, congratulations fellow !!!

Now how long will it be before the pram gets modified....

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys, Just found this and thought I would post it up, it is from when a mate got married and it was the wedding car, I took the Groom to the Church and then both Bride and Groom from the reception to the Hotel at the end of the night. I also performed best man duty.

alwedscone.jpg

Hi Paul

HDP looks nice in that pic.

I've clayed the bonnet, boot & roof as the surface felt a little rough, James suggested to try it & the surface is now Silky smooth.

I gave the cooling system a flush yesterday & put fresh anti freeze in as i wasn't sure when it was last changed.

HDP has been performing like a dream as you would expect from a car that was so well looked after by yourself.

Don't forget to bring that Grey grill to Billing so that i can buy it off you.

I now have a set of Rostyles so may occasionally put HDP on them just for a change but i will normally keep it on the ATS classics.

Edited by Rapierdave

• 3 years later...

Thats when i first owned it in the top pic, had just recovered it from Basingstoke area.

2nd and 3rd pics are at the town and country show at Stoneliegh.

I then put the ATS wheels, mudflaps, and SR steering wheel on and then it was lowered. Still think its a stunning looking car today,

A real credit to you Dave.

Would love another pair of those mudflaps now for my current B.

Always thought that the Ascona in that particular colour and fitted with the ATS alloys was one classy looking motor. 

As an aside, I can't recall, did the runout SR Berlina models fitted with the extended front spoiler etc. have a specific model name? I worked beside a bloke who bought a himself new X plate 2.0SR Berlina in Hazel Brown loaded with all the options as a retirement pressie. It looked fantastic with bronze tinted glass/vinyl roof/extended spoiler and ATS alloys. Must have cost him a fair bit back then (1982).