Polar White and Rust - a restoration epic, can it even be done?

IanMc

1 hour ago, H-400 said:

Hi Ian, was just joking😄,   

To be very honest, I am very pleased to hear that... doing a job on your own car is one thing, but somebody else's is a totally different ball game. As we all know, one man's 'mint condition' is another mans 'needs some TLC'.

A question for everyone: what is the correct 'starting' position for a window winder handle. I just placed mine in what I thought was a natural/uncluttered part of the door - but looking at Herman's now I'm not sure. A tiny detail I know, but interesting all the same.

Perhaps someone with an old brochure showing the interior might be able to help here?

Oh wait - just remembered I have an old Vauxhall brochure tucked away somewhere...

• Haha 1

This afternoon I wanted to experiment on a small section of the car to see how it would react to my flatting and compounding. The car was painted about a year ago using White Gloss coach enamel paint (wacky man!).

I chose the bottom of the NSR quarter, only because it was the nearest to the door and the bushes on the driveway are now so overgrown I didnt want to risk going right up :lol:

This is what I started with:

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

The process I used - only really because these were the materials in my garage:

320 grit wet and dry

600 grit wet and dry

1200 grit wet and dry

G3 compound applied with a sponge head on an electric drill.

(No polish yet applied)

So after about 30 minutes, this is what we have:

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

The photos dont do it a justice really, its come up really well.  :thumbup

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

When I started this project I used an Excel spreadsheet to list all of the jobs to do. Then as I progressed, more things either cropped up or occurred to me I should undertake.

After updating this list last night, I also did an ‘AutoSum’ to find out how many jobs had been finished - to my huge surprise it was 669 !!!

Crikey, no wonder it’s taking me forever to finish lol

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Exclusive Opel said:

Just don't add up the £££ 😲

I do actually have that information as well. Including the car (£300) and delivery from the South coast (£165), the car currently owes me close to £1,250 - but its probably only worth £2,000 ?

Oh well, what else would I be doing with my time...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, IanMc said:

When I started this project I used an Excel spreadsheet to list all of the jobs to do. Then as I progressed, more things either cropped up or occurred to me I should undertake.

After updating this list last night, I also did an ‘AutoSum’ to find out how many jobs had been finished - to my huge surprise it was 669 !!!

Crikey, no wonder it’s taking me forever to finish lol

I did type a reply to this and submitted it. but it hasn't come up!!!

On 16/05/2020 at 11:33, IanMc said:

A question for everyone: what is the correct 'starting' position for a window winder handle.

No idea if there’s a real answer to that. Pragmatically over the years I’ve positioned winders on cars in general at ‘8 o clock’ on the drivers door & ‘4 o clock’ on the passengers, that falls to had easily from the wheel but more importantly you’re on an upward move still pushing away so less leverage & therefore less likely to tear off the handle when furiously winding up to avoid the oncoming HGV & large puddle...

Trying to get a perfect 45degree ‘9 o clock’ setting is bound to be near impossible & discovering you’re a lot more OCD than you ever thought!

• Like 1

I decided to spend some time on the rest of the NSR quarter this afternoon. I started with this:

As you can see, its very flat and orange peely. I used the same equipment as yesterday and ended up with this:

It is much better, but I think that I might have another go in the week with the 1200 grit and G3 compound, just to see if I can coach a bit more out of it. Have to be honest and say that I worry about burning through the paint though, especially as I am using a power tool for the G3.

Have a nice evening everyone.  :thumbup

• Like 5

This evening I made a start flatting the paint on the NS door and front wing.

I used the 360 and 600 grit papers, then tomorrow I hope to hit it them with the 1200 grit and the G3

Strangely, I actually find the whole process quite therapeutic - sad really isn't it  :lol:

• Like 5

On 17/05/2020 at 17:15, IanMc said:

I decided to spend some time on the rest of the NSR quarter this afternoon. I started with this:

As you can see, its very flat and orange peely. I used the same equipment as yesterday and ended up with this:

It is much better, but I think that I might have another go in the week with the 1200 grit and G3 compound, just to see if I can coach a bit more out of it. Have to be honest and say that I worry about burning through the paint though, especially as I am using a power tool for the G3.

Have a nice evening everyone.  :thumbup

Have got a polisher and yes burn through the paint,so got some of there’s from eBay, use with a drill 

polished up the cbr650f a great, did not damage the paint at all worked really well 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, 1200bandit said:

Have got a polisher and yes burn through the paint,so got some of there’s from eBay, use with a drill 

polished up the cbr650f a great, did not damage the paint at all worked really well 

Hi Wayne, I hope that you are keeping well?

Those heads are exactly the same as the ones I have, I still get scared though  :lol:

Hi lan all is well ( but still can get the bike MOT ) 

The bike polish up very well ( did not f##k up the paint) 

As the head spins slowly is Dont F ##k the paint 

l found it okay to use , as l did f##c up the paint on sticky 

Hope your son is doing well. As well the cat’s 

Edited by 1200bandit

On 20/05/2020 at 22:23, 1200bandit said:

Hope your son is doing well. As well the cat’s 

So far, so good mate - thanks for asking, it means a lot  :thumbup

I managed to get a bit more flatting and compounding done on the nearside this afternoon. Pretty happy so far.

Have a great weekend everyone.

Edited by IanMc

This afternoon I flatted and compounded the front panel - its come up pretty well again.

I'm off work tomorrow, so I can put the lights back in, bumper on etc. After that I'm off for a drive to Barnard Castle, I hear its very nice  :lol:

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Made a small start on the wet sanding/flatting of the boot lid at lunch today. This is what I started with:

Hopefully this evening I can post some 'after' photos...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, 1200bandit said:

Looking very nice, l whoud not have the patience to wait this long to polish it 

You are going to run out of things to do soon

Hi Wayne,

Yes I know what you mean, but I have had plenty of other things to do in the mean time of course. Then factor in the other 'problems' we have had here in the last 6 months and quite honestly, I dont know where that year has gone mate.

It will probably take me another 2-3 weeks to get around the car with the wet sanding and compounding at the current rate, then its on to the headliner and boot carpet.

Then I can probably start to look at my long list of little bits and bobs, but we all have those dont we? - those are the things that fill up a few empty Autumn/Winter evenings.

This morning I decided to make a bit of a start on the roof. This is our starting point prior to any wet sanding - a little dusty and definitely a bit 'flat' too:

Hopefully I can post some photos by the middle of the week to show you how it ended up. 

Have a nice day everyone.

Edited by IanMc
  • Like 3

I found some time this evening to finish wet sanding the roof, then wet over it a couple of times with the G3 compound - not too shabby now really.

Have a nice evening everyone.

• Like 8