Polar White and Rust - a restoration epic, can it even be done?

IanMc

This morning I did some prep work for the mini boot space lining project.

First job was to remove the two centre bumper mount bolts and their large washers, then both rear light clusters, the boot lid latch and then peel back the boot seal as far as necessary:

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

As I have decided to go with a Black stretch carpet liner, I wanted the bolt heads to be colour coordinated too. So a dash of paint was applied to all of these fasteners:

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

I decided to start with the largest and most complex part of the boot space, which is the rear panel. As you will see from the above photo, there would be plenty of stretching and cutting to do on this piece to get it to look anything like OK... Then I cut a piece of the stretch carpet to roughly the right size:

I actually quite like the clean look of the rear panel without all of the access holes etc. I appreciate that I will need the occasional hole for the lights, bumper mounts, earth connections etc, but I might just go straight down to the floor and ignore the holes - any thoughts guys?

If I need to access anything else in that cavity, I can always just pop out one or both lights.

To be continued...

• Like 2

Hi Ian I would lose the holes under the liner just going to mean a lot more work and more change of errors (k.i.s.s.) besides think it will look neater only prob I could see with this is change of puncturing or tearing 

• Like 1

Got a little bit done on the boot space liner project.

The stretch carpet is now fitted to the rear panel:

And also to the N/S quarter and upright:

Obviously it will all need a really good hoover afterwards, but I'm pretty pleased so far.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, H-400 said:

Looking great so far, when can I bring my both Manta's😁?

Thanks, but no thanks lol

Oh, almost forgot - the cheapenese spare wheel cover showed up the other day:

Cant really complain for less than £4 :lol:

Edited by IanMc
  • Like 1

Last night I managed to get the Drivers side quarter and upright lined:

Then I decided to finish the job off, the petrol tank card would like good in the same material - plus of course it would then all follow round nicely. Here it is after I covered it and cut out the fixing holes:

I probably wont fit it back in just yet as I want to keep as much of the area clear as possible to allow me to make a template for the carpet that I will eventually fit.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Jessopia74 said:

Looks like it works really well around those compound curves. Lovely job.

That’s the beauty of the 4 way stretch carpet you see Jess, it really is so easy to get a good looking job.

Even a ham fisted, clumsy oaf like me can do it :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

A little bit of pottering about last night.

Got the rear lights installed - managed to find the fixing holes easily through the carpet. The added the bumper mounting screws etc. Te photos are pretty useless to be honest, but it gives you some idea how the painted screw heads look againat the carpet. of course, I managed to take a lot of the paint off again as I was doing them all up  :lol:

Then I rubbed down a painted the spare wheel retaining strap, toothed, tensioner 'thing'. It had surface rust on it and I couldn't bear the thought of using that again as it was frankly:

Brace yourself for El Scorchio today people - take care, stay safe. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jessopia74 said:

Think swapping to stainless screws would be a worthwhile investment Ian

I did think about that Jess, but the ones that hold in the rear lights are those strange hex head, self tapper things...

4 minutes ago, IanMc said:

I did think about that Jess, but the ones that hold in the rear lights are those strange hex head, self tapper things...

Indeed mate, can’t remember off top of my head the size but you can find them as hex drive self tapping tek screws (flanged)

• Thanks 1

Morning all,

A nice early start to the day. After my usual hour long walk, I decided to try to finish up the boot lining for the Cav. Just to remind you, this is what we started with:

Apologies for the strange lack of focus on the last last photo...

And now we have this:

And it all cost 2p under £30 - quite pleased with that I have to say.

Have a nice day and a great weekend everyone  :thumbup

• Like 11

11 minutes ago, Exclusive Opel said:

Looks really good! Should maybe help with a bit of noise reduction as well and offer a bit of protection with things sliding around in the boot.

Wonder if you could use that stuff in place of headlining......

Thanks mate - yes, I did wonder the same about the headliner to be honest. Will look into that a bit more closely I think :thumbup

Just in case there was ever any doubt that my headliner needs replacing - see here:  :lol:  :rolleyes:

On a brighter note, today I summoned up the courage to walk into the Post Office in town. The result of that is the Cav is now officially MOT and Road tax exempt. Happy days.

• Like 4

Ian well done. What did you take. I've been to 2 POs round me and they didn't  know what to do unless it's on the basis of disability 

Btw this post is still an inspiration and really helped me with ideas and decisions to redo things when I see how good they can be😁

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Maseflight said:

Ian well done. What did you take. I've been to 2 POs round me and they didn't  know what to do unless it's on the basis of disability 

Btw this post is still an inspiration and really helped me with ideas and decisions to redo things when I see how good they can be😁

Thank you kind Sir, I’m really pleased my bodging is helping someone lol

Re: the tax and MOT exemption, I simply took my V5, certificate of Insurance and Govt form V112 and told the lady at the counter why I was there. She checked the COI, took form V112 (which I needed as my car did not have an MOT) and scanned the V5.

She then gave me back the right hand page of the V5 and said “I’ve taxed it for a year from the start of the month and you will receive a new V5 (with the Car reclassified as ‘Historic’) in 4-6 weeks - enjoy!”

Good luck getting yours sorted mate :thumbup

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1