E45 SFK i240 restoration after all these years

ANDY ABBOTT

So as always you think your on the last bit of welding then somthing else pops up. I'd forgotten about this bit. So I can now confirm that this is officially the last patch of welding for E45 SFK 🙌

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, ANDY ABBOTT said:

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Jessopia74 said:

Local to you Andy? 

Yes 5 min down the road mate. Did everything on the Monaco blue exclusive for us. You just got to make sure they are all prep and cleaned up first for best results. 

Edited by ANDY ABBOTT
  • Like 1

Front axle components painted today for E45 SFK. collected the bucket load of nuts, bolts brackets from the zinc plating place. Looking forward to building it all back up tomorrow with the new poly Bush kit. New ball joins, upper &lower, new track rod ends etc... also got the inlet manifold primered and painted. Had all the springs, brackets clips injection pipes zinc plated for that too 🙂

• Like 4

Sounds like the bizz, would be a shame to loose this thread if site was to crash, or just through time, it would be worth keeping all this effort with the history of the car, any of those quest shows always find any object with a history behind it more interesting, been looking into it myself, think there is an app, freeprints photobook, you can upload 6 pics per page 20 pages thats 120 pics and copy and paste insert text from here, nice to have it with the car as part of its history, all bound in one book. 

24 minutes ago, ®evo03 said:

Sounds like the bizz, would be a shame to loose this thread if site was to crash, or just through time, it would be worth keeping all this effort with the history of the car, any of those quest shows always find any object with a history behind it more interesting, been looking into it myself, think there is an app, freeprints photobook, you can upload 6 pics per page 20 pages thats 120 pics and copy and paste insert text from here, nice to have it with the car as part of its history, all bound in one book. 

I agree mate, that's a bad thought, as I've a lot of build threads on here. I'll look into that app. 

Some of the parts are pitted after having the rust blasted off of them. I could have replaced them with better ones, but I've chosen to stick with the original parts and live with some pitting visible after painting. I think it tells the story of the car sitting for 20 years on that drive way in Leeds and adds to its story. I hope I've made the right decision and it doesn't take anything away from the finished car ?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ANDY ABBOTT said:

I agree mate, that's a bad thought, as I've a lot of bui

Some of the parts are pitted ........ I think it tells the story of the car sitting for 20 years on that drive way in Leeds and adds to its story. I hope I've made the right decision and it doesn't take anything away from the finished car ?

Thats Patina, and it cant be bought

• Like 4

Cracking job on those plated parts, love it 👍

2 hours ago, ANDY ABBOTT said:

I hope I've made the right decision and it doesn't take anything away from the finished car ?

Not at all, it's just the age of the car. The only other option was to go full on concours with new parts etc, but then it's not original. So it is better been original to fit with its story, as you say.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, GTEPETE said:

Can you slow down Andy, I can't keep up....this must be one of the fastest rebuilds on this forum...😷

It would have been quicker if it wasn't for work and bloody covid 😀

didn't get chance to do anything on the manta today  apart from take a couple more pics of the shiney front crossmember. So here they are 😀

• Like 6