E45 SFK i240 restoration after all these years

ANDY ABBOTT

43 minutes ago, bris jas said:

Does look good, paint looks nice as well. Back in the day the finish always had orange peel so i wouldn't go to mad flat and polishing.

When i restored my GTE coupe i left the paint with orange peel (Not to heavy mind), ended up winning best paint in show at the 2019 Bristol classic car show.

Nice detail on the inlet manifold, always looks clean with new bolts/nuts etc👍

Im not going mad with flatting it, theres just a few bits of dust got in the paint that want nipping out. The joys of having a commercial booth and not a small car one lol. 

Great job there Andy,,,many man hours spent......

Remember hearing that a dealership near me employed a paint sprayer who used work on classics etc....his first paint job on a repaired car was rejected for being too good, as it wasn't  orange peeled enough, so didn't match the factory finish on the rest of the car!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Saving the original doors, and wings. More welding. 🙄

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Dash all built back up. Carpet cleaned and put in, front anti roll bar and drop links fitted, front shocks fitted, door seals on, tread plates on, heater box in, fuel pump setup back on. Another load of nuts, bolts, brackets dropped in for zink plating.

wings getting prepped 

Edited by ANDY ABBOTT
  • Like 11

1 hour ago, Jessopia74 said:

Think I would have done same with the doors.

Quick question, do you clean the carpets with the Steam cleaner? 

Yes mate, soaked in G101 then blasted on the pressure wash from a distance so it doesn't blow it apart or stretch it. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ANDY ABBOTT said:

Dash all built back up. Carpet cleaned and put in, front anti roll bar and drop links fitted, front shocks fitted, door seals on, tread plates on, heater box in, fuel pump setup back on. Another load of nuts, bolts, brackets dropped in for zink plating.

Blimey! You certainly don't waste any time! It's looking great! 👍

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Monaco Blue said:

Blimey! You certainly don't waste any time! It's looking great! 👍

Thanks, I'm just trying to get as much done as possible before I have to move it all to the new place. Busy tomorrow so prob wont get any manta time, but we will see what the day brings 😀

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Trooker said:

I continue to be really impressed with the quality & speed of restoration at the Abbot Manta factory. 

Not only that but the willingness to keep up with the pics & info which is invaluable for the forum. 👍

Thank you mate, I do enjoy restoring these cars particularly this one. Im not a professional car restorer by any means, but i do my best 🙂

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Trooker said:

I continue to be really impressed with the quality & speed of restoration at the Abbot Manta factory. 

Not only that but the willingness to keep up with the pics & info which is invaluable for the forum. 👍

Thank you mate, I do enjoy restoring these cars particularly this one. Im not a professional car restorer by any means, but i do my best 🙂

Tom got the panels in primer today. Just one more door to repair, a small bit on the boot lid and then prime those and the wings  then they will be ready for primer too. 

• Like 6

30 minutes ago, Jessopia74 said:

Should have got a mould off them mate 😎

And tbh I think you would put a lot of the so called 'professionals' to shame 👍👍

Thanks jess. To time consuming fir me. I believe the i240 kits rally tech have was taken from this car, when Trevor Lewis owned what is now known as rally tech. 

1 hour ago, ANDY ABBOTT said:

Thanks jess. To time consuming fir me. I believe the i240 kits rally tech have was taken from this car, when Trevor Lewis owned what is now known as rally tech. 

Ah, interesting stuff. So they are still available?
I believe you about time - small jobs turn into bigger and then where has the day, week, month gone 🙈

1 hour ago, Jessopia74 said:

Ah, interesting stuff. So they are still available?
I believe you about time - small jobs turn into bigger and then where has the day, week, month gone 🙈

So I believe mate. Can't remember who told me the story 🤔 

Managed to squeeze an hour in on the engine tonight. Timing case built up with new gaskets and seals. New timing chain tensioner sourced and new timing cover bolt kit. Timing set, chain and pulley fitted. New head bolts placed in lightly for transporting and fitting the engine in the car. Once engine is mounted ill then torque the head bolts to the correct settings. 

• Like 7

Andy, do you ever have trouble with copper fuel lines? As in contamination of the fuel, used the proper fuel lines, expensive but they were difficult to bend, used a proper pipe bender, considering using copper next two projects, fit em, and blow them out with air compressor, what flexi pipe are you using?

I would say great job but cant see pics, issues joining club as web member! But im sure its a grand job! 

1 hour ago, ®evo03 said:

Andy, do you ever have trouble with copper fuel lines? As in contamination of the fuel, used the proper fuel lines, expensive but they were difficult to bend, used a proper pipe bender, considering using copper next two projects, fit em, and blow them out with air compressor, what flexi pipe are you using?

I would say great job but cant see pics, issues joining club as web member! But im sure its a grand job! 

No problem at all mate. Used it on all my bills. 8mm micro bore copper pipe. Its nice and soft and easy to manipulate into place/shape. Never had an isdue with contamination. I also used codan R9 injection hose. 

58 minutes ago, IanMc said:

Looks to me like you have been slacking off a bit here Andy, what’s the hold up?! :lol:

Well your not far wrong Ian, id have actually made more progress but still in process of moving the business premesis which also involves moving tons upon tons of manta stuff to the new place too, and all the cars 🤣 only this one is left at the old unit now so I'm making as much use of the pit as I can before I'm out of here next week. Its going to be a week or 2 before I've got a ramp in the new manta shed 🙂

the brake flex is a braided one from black diamond 

• Like 4