Polar White and Rust - a restoration epic, can it even be done?

IanMc

Ok, update on the radiator - approx 5 hours have now passed and I am pleased to report that the water is at the same level as my last photo above.

So, fingers crossed the repair/bodge seems to have been a success!

Time to get it back in the car then and no need to bypass the heater matrix and stick ‘jollop’ in the rad - happy days :)

This afternoons tinkering.

- removed the old trans fluid filter from inside the auto box:

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

New filter fitted:

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Adjusted the brake band and then refitted the cover:

Cleaned up the face of the fluid pan a little more then prepared for fitting with a lovely new gasket:

Refitted the radiator:

Opened my newly delivered box of Copper washers and selected the right sizes for the auto box drain plug and the auto trans pipes that connect to the bottom of the radiator:

Now all I have to do is:

- connect up the two auto trans pipes to the radiator.

- connect the two radiator hoses.

- screw in the auto trans pan plug

- refill the radiator.

- refill the auto box and adjust the level

With any luck, all of these jobs will be done tomorrow morning. Then lastly:

- refit the speedo drive with its two new 'O' ring seals - when they arrive that is... I'm hoping that will be on Tuesday (as I am having them delivered to the office).

- reconnect the speedo cable

Have a nice evening everyone  :thumbup

45 minutes ago, Jessopia74 said:

How much adjustment did the band require?

I probably had to turn it in about seven or eight turns to achieve the specified torque figure. You then have to back it off five complete turns before securing it with the lock nut.

Good afternoon everyone. I trust that you have all had a great Bank Holiday weekend - the weather here in Braintree has been just spectacular, and not at all what you would expect from a British BH weekend!

A pretty productive last few hours working on the Cav.

Firstly I plumbed in the radiator and the auto box cooling pipes, using lovely new Copper washers as you can see.

I refitted the washer jets, which I had removed to paint the underside of the bonnet a couple of weeks ago:

While I was in there, I took the opportunity to run all new tubing from the washer bottle to both nozzles - much better than the old clear, brittle stuff! - to be honest I prefer the Black as well, it seems to give them a nice contrast against the White of the car.

Then it was back under the car to screw in the auto box drain plug, again with a new washer - all good here too. 

Next up I refilled the radiator and the auto box with some lovely fresh fluids.

Then it was off up the driveway to let here sit and get up to normal operating temperature.

After about 15 minutes, I checked the auto trans fluid level - it need just under a half Litre to bring it up to the max. mark on the dipstick. The I connected up my Gunsons Colourtune kit to allow me to make the final carburettor adjustments (the idle mixture and idle speed).

This is the car running after setting the idle mixture, but before knocking the idle speed down about 150 rpm - it seems quite happy:

https://i.imgur.com/nmuRkaL.mp4

After I reduced the idle speed, it was off out for a little rest drive...

I am pleased to report that:

- the car changes gear beautifully.

- it returns to idle every time - remember that previously I had to 'flick' the throttle as the cable was a little sticky - so the new throttle cable has sorted out that problem!

- the new speedo cable has done the trick too, that works brilliantly.

- I got the car up to 70 mph on a local stretch of dual carriageway. I bet it must be at least 20 years since the old girl has reached the UK speed limit  :thumbup

- when I got to 70, there was a load of dried leaves, cobwebs, dust etc get blown into the car from the two centre air vents - it was a bit like two party poppers being let off - quite amusing really  :lol:

- After letting the car cool down, I checked the coolant level in the radiator (wondering if yesterdays repair had help) - it was still in the filler neck - nice!

As I say a good afternoons work - I'm feeling very satisfied this evening.

Cheers all.

Edited by IanMc
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Jessopia74 said:

Sticking inertia mechanism?

Yes, I would say so.

39 minutes ago, 1200bandit said:

all ways nice when you have a target to reach and you get their 

Absolutely - little steps, but generally in a forward direction...

Think one of my inertia reels was sticking, hence the previous owner wanting to fit sparco 3point harness.

when I removed them from the car, I gave them a good shake and a lot of crud fell out, so I suspect a strip down and clean will revive it.

15 minutes ago, Jessopia74 said:

Think one of my inertia reels was sticking, hence the previous owner wanting to fit sparco 3point harness.

when I removed them from the car, I gave them a good shake and a lot of crud fell out, so I suspect a strip down and clean will revive it.

Yeah that was my thinking, and some strategically placed quirts of WD or similar too...

I have heard a rumour that if you pull out your seatbelt and clamp it fully out with a clothes peg then wipe both sides of the seatbelt with fabric softener (what you put into your washing machine) and leave it out to dry, once it’s dry it should retract and pull out a lot easier. I’m going to try this just haven’t got round to it yet.

Edited by Mike.
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Mike. said:

I have heard a rumour that if you pull out your seatbelt and clamp it fully out with a clothes peg then wipe both sides of the seatbelt with fabric softener (what you put into your washing machine) and leave it out to dry, once it’s dry it should retract and pull out a lot easier. I’m going to try this just haven’t got round to it yet.

True or not, or works or not - at least my seat belts will smell lovely  :lol:

Mine were a bit like that but I washed mine (just the webbing only and keeping the mechanism dry). Just used warm water and mild hand soap with a soft nail brush. Amazing the amount of dirt that came out. Pat dry with a towel and leave to dry, keeping the belt fully extended and flat. Now they're flexible rather than like a bits of old leather!

• Thanks 1

Hi Ian my seatbelts were the same put a towels down on the seat and pulled as much of the belt out as possible then left to soak in a bucket of warm soapy water then cleaned the rest with a hot soapy cloth dried and they now slam back up.oh enjoy the sweets...nice.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IanMc said:

So today, the nice DHL man brought me some goodies from Germany...

So I guess the seat belts might get put off for another 24 hours  :lol:

Thanks once again to Herman for his tip!  :thumbup

And you also get a little pack of Haribo's 🙂 You use to get some sort of herbal tea bag with his stuff, i say it was herbal, just guessing as it was all in German 🙂 never tried one but the Haribo's are nice!

• Like 1

Well Cavalier work was scrapped this evening as I had a small mishap with my Wife’s car...

I thought that I would give it a quick wash before tackling the Cav’s speedo drive seals - bad idea!

In my haste to roll back her Cooper S auto, I managed to slip off the brake pedal onto the throttle and went tearing backwards into the driveway gate, a section of fencing and two fairly large bushes. I wiped out the lot and left the back of the car up in the air at about 15 degrees - oops!!!!!

So 2 1/2 later, after chopping up all the fence, gate and bushes, the Mini got its wash - but only after repairing the exhaust tailpipes and rear bumper supports. Sadly some paintwork will be required to the lower NS section of the bumper though.

I definitely win the prick of the day award today!!!!!

Gutted.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Those of you that have been following this rubbish long enough will already know that Friday night is Archery night for me. This means that there will be no project thread updates.

However, tonight's Archery will be a bit different to normal, in that I will be going there in the Cavalier.

Its in Witham, which is approx 7 miles each way from our house, so this will be easily the longest round trip the old girl has done in 20 years  :lol:

I thought that I had been boring the guys and gals at Archery stupid for the last 18 months, but it seems not... As soon as I let it slip that it was on the road, I had at least three people asking me to take it along today...

I hope that they know what they are letting themselves in for  :lol:

If I remember, I will take a photo while its there and post it here for you  :thumbup

Have a great weekend everyone.

• Like 3

Ian, soon you will need to change the title of your thread:

"Polar White - NO Rust - Restoration Epic - It's DONE"

The car is a credit to your perseverance, enthusiasm and problem solving skills.  Enjoy the drive, I'm sure if the car is running well the seven mile return trip from your Archery session might end up being a bit longer.

Chris

• Thanks 1