Polar White and Rust - a restoration epic, can it even be done?

IanMc

Well after a bit of a struggle the Mini exhaust is done. I started at 06:00 and finished at 19:30.

Suffice to say that every imaginable obstacle and problem came my way...  :lol: Thats a day of my life I'm not going to get back.

Mrs Mc is vert happy though, so plenty of Brownie points have been stashed in the cupboard   :thumbup

Hi all,

Sorry for the lack of updates recently. To cut a long story short, I have had a bit of a health scare recently.

This was completely unexpected and has knocked me out of my stride and made me prioritise things quite quickly.

The better news is that this is now behind me/us and I can once again move forward with life generally and of course the Cavalier.

In the next couple of days I will make a start on the interior project/phase - starting with the door cards.

Cheers all, take care.

Ian take it easy for a while you have been non stop at this car for about 2 years early mornings and late evenings  as my mum used to say " your burning the candle at both ends".your dedication to your car is stunning but not at the cost of your health.rest relax chill enjoy.

• Thanks 1

Good evening everyone, I hope that you are all well?

Firstly, can I please say a big thank you to everyone that has provided kind works of encouragement and good wishes - it really is greatly appreciated. I have never met any of you face to face, but I do feel as is a lot of you are online friends now - in the nicest possible way.  :thumbup

Anyway, as mentioned yesterday, I am now starting on the 'interior phase' of this little project. I have decided to ease myself into it, by starting with the door cards.

As the winder handle is the wrong number of splines on the drivers side I decided to start with that one, purely on the basis that it would be way easier to get it off  :lol: By the way, I haven't bothered describing how to get the door cards off as I'm pretty sure you have all done that before?

From a distance this door card looks quite presentable for 40 years old, but get up closer and the general grubbiness becomes more obvious.

The front:

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

The back:

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Now closer up:

Quick note - on the near side card, there is some damage to the 'wood' around the interior handle. I plan to try to repair this (somehow) and with this in mind I ordered some self adhesive vinyl many moths ago. With hindsight this seems to be too Red. I think maybe I need to get some more than is a closer shade to the original - thoughts anyone?

Here it is:

The next step will be the strip down of the card and we will go from there - this is going to be fun, I think...

A little bit dismantling done.

Firstly the door pocket was removed. This is held in place by seven screws from the back of the card:

Next up was the 'wood' strip. This is held in place by as series of metal tangs that go through slots in the card itself:

Bend these up 90 egress along its entire length and the strip can be pulled free:

With closer examination of this piece, you can clearly see how it is constructed  basically a thin wood panel, with chrome trim surrounds crudely stapled in place - not exactly rocket science.

All quite straightforward so far  :thumbup

• Like 1

I have made a little more progress with the door cards this morning, but I have hit a little snag... I don't seem to be able to easily remove (without breaking something) the top metal seal retaining strip.

This is what I am up against - fasteners/retaining method that I haven't seen before:

I have created a thread  the Basic Technical Help section, so I will work around this if I can and see what comes back.

The door card dismantling goes on.

First the top and bottom thin chrome strips were removed. This is easy, you just need to bend the tangs on the back and the strips pull away from the door card.

You can now clearly see the three materials that make up the Cav GLS door cards: the vinyl 'cap', the material center and the carpet at the base:

Now to start to remove those three layers.

To get the material center and the carpet off, you have to unpick lord knows how may short leg staples all around the perimeter:

Then these parts can be removed from the card backing:

Then peel back the vinyl cap to reveal a rubber strip underneath:

Then you have to prise off the top Steel window seal retaining strip and peel it away from the glue that is there too:

Then peel off the rubber strip, this is glued to the card:

Now the only obstacle that you face is getting the long/strong staples out that retain the seal strip to the top vinyl strip. I started to try to prise the first one out with a screwdriver, which resulted in bending the metal backing strip (which luckily I can straighten), before I remembered that Exclusive Opel wrote that he had carefully cut his away with a Dremel. Sincere thanks to him for this tip - this is most definitely the best way to do this - quick, easy and accurate without bending that backing strip unnecessarily!

After all that, you should end up with a pile of parts that looks a bit like this:

And a bare door card:

The only part that I couldn't really understand, was what the small piece of foam in this photo does - any ideas guys? It at the top and sits at the front corner - paint protector perhaps?

I'm picking up some nice new hardboard later from B&Q, then I can set about cutting out some new door card blanks. Then we start the hunt for suitable materials - this is where it all starts to get serious as:

1) The colours and textures will be carried across to the seats etc

2) My virgin sewing skills will get their first test as the door card material (with the additional layer below) has some straight stitch lines to create the ribbed effect you can see here:

While we were in town yesterday, I did wander into our only material shop and found this which I quite liked the look and feel of:

I will probably take in a bit of my old door card material in the week and see what kind of colour and texture match it is. It is an upholstery material, so it will certainly be suitable for the job I am doing.

Have a nice day everyone  :thumbup

• Like 1

Just had a little play with different ways of making those little slots in the hardboard.

The easiest a the fastest way is to use a small cutting disc in my Dremel:

This goes through the hardboard quickly and leaves a decent slot:

So I think that I will pick up another pack of those whilst I am in B&Q later

So now the harder work begins - the base material is here, as is the cutting 'stuff'

Using the old door card as a template, we now have this:

I will 'back to back' the other sheet of hardboard, so I can try to cut both door cards at the same time - that way I either get them both the same, or duplicate any error  :lol:

By the way, the 'rough' side of the hardboard will be the one that the material will be glued to. My thinking is here that:
1) The shiny/sealed side will repel any moisture that gets past the plastic membrane better.
2) The rough side will allow better adhesion of the spray contact adhesive.

We are off out shortly, but hopefully I might be able to show this job some power tools later on - if not, this is a nice job for those rapidly darkening evenings...

And after a bit of work with the jigsaw and drill...

They just need the slots to be added now, which will be tomorrow evening now.

So far, so good - I even remembered that the Passenger side does not have a door pocket on my car, so I didn't drill those holes accidentally.

Have a nice evening everyone.

• Like 7

Ian I had no idea you took such a big task to restore a car that I thought could never be rescued, I would have fainted looking at it and allowed it to rest in peace at a scrap yard, but you knew and you undertook such a mammoth challenge, really impressed by your optimism, I wouldn't have thought a car in that state could even be restored, of course so much went into restoring it, I only wished you managed to get hold of a car that had little rust, like mine, I have rust but it is mainly confined to the bottom rails and floors, yes thanks to my sun roof drain that sends rain water down into passenger foot well, as that section as completely rotten including jacking point, but I managed to save it by welding solid sections and pipe for the jacking point,  but I gave it to someone to weld, he done the welding which enabled it to pass MOT, but I was not happy with the quality of his welds, or may be my expectation were unreal, I paid £25.00 today just to have a look at the pictures as I have been a member for a while but I could not see any pictures or see classified ads, as I need a RH side Manta Head light, I bought one from a guy here a month ago,,and some bastard smashed it again during parking maneuver, so I caught him and got his details and he is willing to pay for one, so i will be looking for another RH Headlight, I do have a good one which I reserve for MOT, but after MOT I remove the good one and put back an old one that has tarnished reflector, so this was the one that got broken again, its always the RH side one that goes, last week there was one good one on Ebay (New but old stock) but i missed it. 

Very good thread and very painful too, you have spent hundreds of hours to restore this car, I wanted to see what you did to swan neck sections, but i have not so far gone through it all, its a very long project and lots of pages to study.

Something new I learnt too....Dupuytren's contracture,  so hos is your little finger now? :thumbup

Ian, how did you make such neat round holes on the new door cards? did you use a punch and die or a drill bit? 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, MSGManta said:

Something new I learnt too....Dupuytren's contracture,  so hos is your little finger now? :thumbup

Ian, how did you make such neat round holes on the new door cards? did you use a punch and die or a drill bit? 

The finger/hand is great now, many thanks.

Cutting the holes in the hardboard was easy actually. I simply clamped both pieces together at that the same time as clamping them to an old piece of MDF and then went through them with a wood drill. Thy have also been 'cleaned up' with some 80 grit sand paper though.

Thanks for all your kind words, much appreciated.

The red material on the very top of the door card Ian, what material is it? my car interior is in mint condition except for a what I think is a cigarette burn in that card top on the drivers door, I' ve been meaning to see to it for years now, but think it's time to get it done!!! but to get the correct colour and the correct material won't be easy, what do you suggest?.