New owner

steve.m

Hi All,

I have just purchased a red 1988 Opel Manta 1.8GT with 32,000 miles. Great condition (but will require at least a top end respray at some point). Looking forward to getting to know the car and visiting the site.

Cheers, Steve.

• Like 6

Hi All,

Thanks for the welcomes, I still have the V5 at home so will check the previous 2 owners (3 in total) when I get home from offshore tomorrow.

The reg ends CYD if that helps identify it. Any information on the car would be very much appreciated. I bought it from a couple of guys in Glasgow who deal in top end classics, they bought it recently at auction not realising it had a couple of paint and running issues so just moved it on at a bit of a loss :). It has been left outside and the paint had faded, someone has buffed through to the primer on the sunroof and tailgate and the rest of the paintwork felt very rough, there are rust bubbles starting along the front edge of the bonnet and a few marks on the bumpers. The car was also running rough.  Apart from that the car seems pretty much immaculate. When I got it home I checked for the rough running and it was a perished vacuum pipe on to the carb, sorted that and it is running sweet now. 2 polishes (3 on the bonnet) and the paintwork has come back fantastic and is more than presentable now. A new pair of new old stock rear spax shocks fitted as well to stop the bouncy rear. I am delighted with the car. 

• Like 5

Great save, buy, rolling restoration, just looking at the photos, the rear end is sitting a little high, compared to the front, maybe rear springs are fitted upside down, common mistake. 

On 05/08/2021 at 18:58, TheRealExile said:

Looks great 👍

Agree! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ®evo03 said:

Great save, buy, rolling restoration, just looking at the photos, the rear end is sitting a little high, compared to the front, maybe rear springs are fitted upside down, common mistake. 

Agree! 

The rear isn’t far off ride height for a standard 1.8 to be honest. The front looks to have been lowered though….. 

• Like 1

yes agree.front looks a little low .could just be old settled springs or more likely after market lowering type or broken. 

( or even missing rubbers !  ive seen it before !)

trying to get my head around the logic of fitting rear springs wrong way up would affect height in any way. proper springs should have the straight tail edge at the bottom yes but ?

either way. a bl*****y nice car which ever way you look at it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/08/2021 at 07:49, ®evo03 said:

Agree! 

I'll have a look, I thought the front was a bit low and needed new springs to lift it in line with the rear, I will check it out thanks.

On 07/08/2021 at 09:12, Sutty2006 said:

The rear isn’t far off ride height for a standard 1.8 to be honest. The front looks to have been lowered though….. 

That's what I was thinking. 👍

Hi Steve.m

i have spotted you out and about in your manta, I gave you a wave as I also have a manta up in this neck of the woods. It would be great to meet up with you in the mantas and I could introduce you to all the local manta enthusiasts who just attended the Royal Deeside motor show, check out the latest post on mikes manta in the your project section, there is more mantas up this way than you would expect, let me know if you’re interested in meeting them 👍

• Like 4

On 19/08/2021 at 12:44, Mike. said:

Hi Steve.m

i have spotted you out and about in your manta, I gave you a wave as I also have a manta up in this neck of the woods. It would be great to meet up with you in the mantas and I could introduce you to all the local manta enthusiasts who just attended the Royal Deeside motor show, check out the latest post on mikes manta in the your project section, there is more mantas up this way than you would expect, let me know if you’re interested in meeting them 👍

Hi Mike, 

Where did you see me, sorry if I didn't wave back. That would be great to meet and get some advice. I am away on Wednesday for 3 weeks but can contact you when I get home. Cheers. 

Hi again Steve.m

that would be perfect, just get back in touch after your holidays and we can meet up with the Manta’s.

we have a WhatsApp group as well where we organise meets, ask advice and have a laugh or two, we have 11 manta enthusiasts in the group including one girl called Karen 

some of our group is going to the Buckie car show this coming weekend.

A manta on the road now is really easy to spot, totally different to everything else on the road, I spotted you on the bypass heading from Findlay’s to Asda direction as I was going home from a job in Fraserburgh one evening, I was in a blue van, put a big smile on my face going home.

enjoy your holiday 👍

Edited by Mike.
  • Like 2

Hi Mike,

Not a holiday I'm afraid, 3 weeks stuck in the middle of the North Sea 🤕

That wasn't you I saw driving away from Bicocchis in the white Manta GT/E on Tuesday evening was it? 1/2 an hour earlier and I was in my Manta away to 

wrap it up for the next 3 weeks.

• 1 month later...
On 26/08/2021 at 19:21, steve.m said:

Just got a quick look but very nice looking car 👌

Hi Mike, I've been home about 10 days now, things have been a bit manic. The Manta is in the driveway now so should be using it daily this week.