Shugs increasingly solid Manta A project

Shug

Managed to spend all weekend getting just the following done (albeit sunday with a lethal hangover. Whisky would you believe )

engine1.JPG

engine3.JPG

engine4.JPG

engine2.JPG

(the head isn't bolted on. Doesn't even have a cam in it yet. I just wanted to pretend it was finished! Incidently, is the head gasket supposed to be blocking most of the channels between head and block? Old one on it was, and new one would as well)

Thats all til the xmas holidays where I will get two hangover fuelled weeks solid at it.

It's what christmas is all about

Shug

Incidently, is the head gasket supposed to be blocking most of the channels between head and block? Old one on it was, and new one would as well)

Yes that is normal, or at least on all the ones i ahve done. What ever you do though, dont forget the rubber o ring between the head and timing case at the front.

• 1 month later...

Just realised I haven't updated since xmas hols. Prob cos there's not a huge amount to see, but here it is:

Firstly, one largely completed engine (alternator at local tech college for testing!)

engine.JPG

One tastefully painted arch

arch.JPG

One shagged bonnet

bonnet.JPG

bonnet2.JPG

Boot lid needed a little work

boot1.JPG

boot2.JPG

boot3.JPG

bootfix.JPG

(yes, thats fibreglass ) Got a coat of filler as well. All holes nicely sealed up.

booton.JPG

So thats what its supposed to look like!

door.JPG

Drivers door needs a bit of work.

As does the passenger one:

dooron.JPG

(I just like to pretend its closer to completion! Its not attached)

Oh, and this is how cold it was outside, and I was in a large wooden shed

tree.JPG

Next job is apply new slide hammer to a piss poor repair I made early on( perfectly solid and strong, just not pretty), and use pdr tools on doors and shell dents. Once alternator is back will finish engine, spray bay and drop it in. Then fix up gearbox ( or pay someone else to!) stick it in and measure and cut prop. Then sanding and filling and sanding aplenty to get shell for spraying. Then wire, pipe, and bung interior in and stick some glass on with a few other bits n pieces and its finished!

• 1 month later...

A quick pic of its current state:

manta-1.jpg

I can crawl underneath it now (and did, fitting two anti roll bar links to find out I've got a completely different anti roll bar to whats in haynes and dr-manta etc :blink: )

As george buehler* constantly says 'think ahead stupid!'

(* boat builder and inspiration for my next project ;) )

• 1 month later...

How to spot every single imperfection and flaw in a manta body shell in one easy step.

Paint it black. :huh:

Started the week with a car needing bodywork, did a week of bodywork, now have a black car needing bodywork. Confidence is at a new all time low. Nae manta for billing this year. Again. :(

That's why black used to be an optional colour with the same price tag as metallic as they used to have to mop the whole car as it shows every imperfection.

Go white if dismayed and not wanting to get it perfect.

Otherwise if it needs work everywhere hit it with 5 litres of filler primer........... worst case spray putty but you probably don't want to go there.

And finally.......................... never listen to me.

Its no actually that bad. Needs a spot more work. Touch of melodrama that was served on the side of my stonking hangover when that was posted :lol:

greyfront.JPG

greyside.JPG

to

blackfront.JPG

blackside.JPG

Spraying is easy. Dunno why people worry about it. Its all the sodding prep required that's annoying!

• 2 weeks later...

Take one shiny gearbox,

gearbox.JPG

And after attaching to engine use precision engine crane,

digger.JPG

And drop into aforementioned black car,

sideclose.JPG

side.JPG

No much clearance between engine and shell at one end tho. Theres a distinct possibilty the engine mounts are on the wrong side.

Gearbox mount not on yet tho, need to fabricate one. (held up with wood and rope just now :lol: )

Starting to take shape , when are you hoping to get the manta on the road ?

One day..... :lol:

Need to start spending a heap of money on bits now, and courtesy of a temperamental dysfunctional audi, I don't have any!

• 2 years later...

2 years since last update and the ****** still aint finished.

Has moved along a little bit tho.

Brakes went on

brake.JPG

Shit paint job got redone

front.JPG

front.JPG

Engine dolled up and carbs bolted on

engine.JPG

Lights on.

car.JPG

Dash in (glovebox just lying there!)

dash.JPG

Swore a lot

oops.JPG

Windscreen in

windae.JPG

Other stuff on

front.JPG

Wheels on with spacers and longer bolts.

car.JPG

Headlining start

start.JPG

halfway

mid.JPG

Mostly done bar a little trimming

end.JPG

Chrome trim started to go on, rear windscreen in, carpets in as well, seat subframes sorted and fitted. Exhaust on.

As it is now:

current.JPG

Final jobs are clip hose and brake pipe on properly, fit r1 fuel pump as facet pump overfuelling carbs at times, fit stereo, fit rest of chrome trim, fit door seals, finish upholstering seats and fit them, adjust bonnet and boot, fit rear side windows and wash off the thick accumulation of dust and polish it before taking it for an MOT and hope no-one spots the glaring deficiencies of my work too much.

Almost thinking no to bother taking it to billing if its finished in time. Glowing pride is absent somewhat and condemnation and coarse criticism can be done without.

Edited by Shug

Oh my gitty aunt :) What a project, have just viewed all pages, and i have one word... Respect!

That first shell you had, i wouldn´t have touched that one myself either. Best choice i think to do what you did and get a bodyshell in better condition. The red one should have been sand blasted, but i have serious doubts about how much you would get back from the blasters ? :)

I had a TE2800 replica once, i bought it only to get the wide wings and flares. And oh my god that thing was dead! When i opened the door the A post broke off! ! ! ! blink.gif I then stepped on the side panel and that broke as well...angry.gif And guess what happened when we cut off the rear flares (fibreglass).. Yup the entire rear end of the car hopped 2-3 inches down, and the rear windscreen popped out. dry.gif

So sometimes, its better to let them rust in peace laugh.gif

Thats coming along very nicely Shug. The wheels look brilliant on the car :thumbup

When you get despondent, look at the thread and what you have achieved, over the years.

Wow I hope to see the car at Billing..................Please! :thumbup

Hat off to you Shug, one hell of a project. When it hits the road it'll be a two fingered salute to the Audi :D

John.

If I could afford to, the audi running gear would be going on the next manta :lol:

As it is, its getting sold, or broken for parts depending on MOT at end of month.

As Rab has said, It is another A saved.

It does not matter if the car is not showroom condition, how can anyone expect it to be, you are a DIYer and not profectional.

Personaly I have more repect and enjoy home builds over Profestionals anyday.

You must bring it to billing if finished and be prowed of your achevments. :thumbup :thumbup :thumbup

If I could afford to, the audi running gear would be going on the next manta :lol:

As it is, its getting sold, or broken for parts depending on MOT at end of month.

DON'T BREAK IT, ENJOY IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If this is because you are dissapointed at the cosmetics don't despair you have done te hard bit. You can always shop around for someone to do the final pudding and spray at a reasonable cost. There will be someone around that will do you a nice job for two or three hundred as you have it rust free so they won't have to rub a thousand scabs down.

Yep its looking good Shug. :thumbup

Can i ask what dizzy you are running with the bike carb set up ?

At the moment its mantadocs 2.0 dizzy :lol:

When I get mine sorted it'll be the standard 2.2 (which I'm sure is the same except for rotor arm)

And dont worry mantadoc, I was referring to breaking the audi, not the manta!!