I feel a project coming on

opel2000

Clive where do you have the coil mounted?

I had the same problem as you have years ago, it turned out to be that the coil needs a good solid earth via the mounting on the base, if it's not onto clean bare metal (mine was bolted to a skanky bit of scuttle) I found it best to run a seperate earth wire from the base to the inner wing.

I also fried one of those little black plastic electronic things under the coil by not having a good earth too.

Worth a go.

Carl :)

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

been a bit of a tw4t this:) did u loose the spark when the relay was changed clive,

that might be knackered?

when youve got the spark back take all the plugs out for a while. these wont start flooded.#

i know im probably telling you how to suck eggs here, but when the plugs are out heat the spark ends up on the gas flame on ur hob b4 you put em back in. then try fire it up. works a treat on these engines. try it mate. :thumbup

TBH Mick I think the spark went on Saturday after it had ran for a bit, I changed the relay last night and as it made no difference I put mine back in, as I know it fired up on the original Relay.

Never thought of warming up the plugs to dry them out, but last night it looked as though the bloody plugs were dry (Crank sensor?)

I have ab old crank sensor to try, as well as a replacement coil, I doubt whether it will be the coil but mabe the transistor/s that sit beneath, that is of course if there is a fault here.

Not going to be very amused if the NEW Genuine GM crank sensor is not working......... But as I think about it, it looked as though the cranak sensor was different to the one I was hoping to see when I bought it...... an all plastic thing that didn't cover the flat area on the block as nice as the original ones did.

Clive where do you have the coil mounted?

I had the same problem as you have years ago, it turned out to be that the coil needs a good solid earth via the mounting on the base, if it's not onto clean bare metal (mine was bolted to a skanky bit of scuttle) I found it best to run a seperate earth wire from the base to the inner wing.

I also fried one of those little black plastic electronic things under the coil by not having a good earth too.

Worth a go.

Carl :)

Carl, due to originally extending the leads to the dizzy in order for preparation for front mounting the dizzy I did just rest the coil on bulkhead heater area (so that the King lead would reach the dizzy), but was unsure about it being earthed so I ran a secure earth lead regardless just to be sure. I have checked this.

Thanks mate.

Tried Easy start/Ether?

Getting tempted to start spraying panel wipe through the afm mate :thumbup

As said above, I have another coil to try and a crank sensor to try, been a bit too busy tonight to get out on the car, hoping to get some sort of result tomorrow eve.

Heck Rutts!!!

Now that is a worry, I Have to go to work today as I need to try and fix my Broken Engraving machine.... Yes all going well here :( Otherwise I would have spent the day on car today, especially as GF goes into hospital on Weds for god knows how long which means that I won't be having too much time to do anything,(as well as being able to spend a bit of time with her) as it will be home from work to get changed to go visit each evening, when Debbie comes out of hospital I'll be having to do everything around the house so really needed this car as complete as poss by now

Was really hoping to get this running MOT'd insured and Taxed by the end of the month, as I did not want to Tax the Corsa again too :(

Friday the bloody 13th,,,,,,,, had some really bad ones, i'm not superstitious but feck me always wary of these days, with so much going wrong lately i'm tempted to just stay in bed :blink::unsure::thumbup

RUTTS...........

Top marks mate.....

It was the fucking brand new GM crank sensor stopping this from firing up, now the thing that is bugging me is that it did start up on the new crank sensor although only for a second.

Really not fucking amused at the hassle created by a standard new replacement item.

But the good side of this, is that the car starts on the turn of the key and idles, albeit a bit noisy at the moment, gonna go and get a bit of steel bar from B&Q and get the exhaust hangers made properly and finish off the exhaust, and it just struck me that I better get some oil in the gearbox, then .......... I'll be able to drive it :)B)

RUTTS...........

Top marks mate.....

It was the f**king brand new GM crank sensor stopping this from firing up, now the thing that is bugging me is that it did start up on the new crank sensor although only for a second.

Really not f**king amused at the hassle created by a standard new replacement item.

But the good side of this, is that the car starts on the turn of the key and idles, albeit a bit noisy at the moment, gonna go and get a bit of steel bar from B&Q and get the exhaust hangers made properly and finish off the exhaust, and it just struck me that I better get some oil in the gearbox, then .......... I'll be able to drive it :)B)

Excellent Clive, Good News, :D :D :D :D :thumbup :thumbup :thumbup :thumbup

Excellent news mate :thumbup

IIRC I had trouble with a plastic crank sensor, had to revert back to the metal one with a bodged together wire - although having said that I'm now using a plastic one with no problems *fingers crossed*......

I would be very tempted to wire up the Motronic to give you flash codes.

Do these engines have an Octane plug?

Actually I would be tempted to duck tape a Manta AFM to the throttle body, connect up an old L Jetronic system temporarily just to see it run, assuming you have enough bits to provide a spark and RPM signal and come back to that bit later

Must say many thanks for everyones help and comments on the non running problem, it really was Rutts comment that highlighted my fault, and never in a grillion years would I have suspected the new crank sensor. All I need to do now is to get hold of one, as I need to give the borrowed one back.

So yesterday saw me getting back on with the exhaust, got the rolled up end fitted to the main pipe in order to connect to the downpipe and when clamped into place it highlighted just what a wrong angle it was pointing at, adjusted that by cutting a segment out and bending pipe upwards, but now it is also about 2" out of lining up with the centre box.

Got sick to the back teeth of wrestling around under car on tarmac that is breaking up with wind blowing about like fcuk blowing all sorts of crap in my eyes, and typically just at that point of frutrated rage, Nob that is going out with woman round the corner from me stops and gets out his car to talk to me whilst I'm swearing and scraping myself to bits under car (sort of nob he is...... Was tearing some rag to polish car once when he came across to chat, when rag stopped tearing as it hit one of those untearable bits that Biggest bloke on Planet wouldn't be able to tear, "Are you struggling with that? pass it here", this is gonna be funny i thought at the time and I stood there quitely smirking to myself as he struggled like hell and watched his face go red)

Anyway Nob comes over saying carp things about exhaust and saying "do you want me to do this, or do you want me to do that?" Really had to bite my lip from saying.....................NO JUST WANT TO BE LEFT THE FCUK ALONE, NOB.

So pretty much had fruitless afternoon, with car back on it's wheels it has that typical Manta middle box hanging low problem, it simply wants the pipe leading to the box hacking about and altering, was going to get back on with it this morning but all wet and crap out there, will see if it dries up later.

So suddenly I have a Manta again, project is now a car that simply needs a few things sorting on.

Need for MOT.

Exhaust finishing.

Wiper blades.

Washer Bottle.

Fuel pump mounting correctly, just hanging about on it's hoses at the moment.

Headlights mounting in bezels.

Teeny tiny bit of welding.

To finish correctly.

Finish off the rear quarters and paint.

Dress up some of the work i've done.

Fit some sort of heater arrangement/front mount the dizzy

Fit a cooling fan and fan controller

Fit air filter, need to cobble some pipework to mount filter to AFM

Get some windscreen filler strip

Sort a Parcel shelf

Clean up rear axle and associated floorpan area, re-fit the brake lines on axle and check over the rear shoes and general rear brake operation

just at that point of frutrated rage, Nob that is going out with woman round the corner from me stops and gets out his car to talk to me whilst I'm swearing and scraping myself to bits under car (sort of nob he is...... Was tearing some rag to polish car once when he came across to chat, when rag stopped tearing as it hit one of those untearable bits that Biggest bloke on Planet wouldn't be able to tear, "Are you struggling with that? pass it here", this is gonna be funny i thought at the time and I stood there quitely smirking to myself as he struggled like hell and watched his face go red)

Anyway Nob comes over saying carp things about exhaust and saying "do you want me to do this, or do you want me to do that?" Really had to bite my lip from saying.....................NO JUST WANT TO BE LEFT THE FCUK ALONE, NOB.

Ha, I'm glad I'm not the only person who gets like this. Working in the wind is always guaranteed to send me over the edge at the best of times, I don't mind when the old feller (a classic car upholsterer) walking his dog stops for a chat as he works on some interesting stuff, but when the chav 2 doors up stops to talk about tribal graphics and diamond cut 18s when I'm elbows deep in grease I really just want to tell him to DO ONE.

I don't mind enlisted help, in fact there are times I wouldn't be without it, but I like help to be on my terms.

Maybe I'm just a miserable tw@t :D

Edited by Leon

glad you found problem mate :thumbup . autovaux have new correct sensors for £36 p+p they had loads last year at billing but i did not buy any being a tight bugger but wish i had on way home :( .

i know what you mean with middle box hanging low. my front pipe/system is an ashley one, manifold to middle box is half 1.8 half my modification at front to line up with ashley four branch. i had to cut four branch to miss gearbox cross member then i had to cut over axle piece so it did not touch top of axle tunnel as it was too tall. would of been easier to make my own i recon with no middle box and just one box on the end. :(

Well that is pretty much end of project for now. Due to 2 reasons.

First reason is that my Partner goes into hospital tomorrow, and will be pretty much spending evenings and most of weekends by her bedside, unsure of how long her stay will be, but will simply have no time to get on with car.

Second reason is being absolutely broke, and I mean broke in the sense that I'm not sure just where my next bottle of bud and fag is coming from.

But for everyone that has helped me get this project as far as it has I would like to say..........

THANKS to....

Nat and Callum for "Giving" me the car in the first instance.

Neighbour for free engine.

Mantasrme for bargain priced 1.8 gearbox.

Mickappy for the engine mounts.

Mick for Interior, (bought before this vehicle and was destined for a different car)

Mick for passenger door (as above)

cdi200 for headlamp surrounds.

Devilfish for headlining (must pay him tonight :unsure: )

Kevin Abbott and Mantasrme for brake advice :thumbup big thumbs there chaps

czhw42 for helping me install engine and supply power cap, sunvisor mounts, and numerous other parts.

Retropower (Nat and Callum) for supplying distributor, and fuel pressure reg, steel for exhaust, centre console with screw covers :thumbup advice, and borrowing items to help me get this running, and pretty damn sure there were lots of other bits that I can't currently think of.

Ian Goacher for middle box.

ChrisT for back box

Lee Bates for supplying dash, fetched by Manta Modifier when we were doing Moon monkey's Manta.

PMA for supplying engine rebuild items at a damn god price.

Manta88 for gearlever and linkage bits.

Pat for the exhaust manifold and 1.8 hoses :thumbup owe you beer for that lot mate, especially at the time of despair.

Keith for rear spoiler.

Muppet off of Ebay all those years ago for selling me fcuked up front and rear bumper bought in the pitch darkness of darkest Sheffield an a rainy night when all I was bothered about at the time was whether I could get my calibra back home due to problems.... done days of work when having no Money to get these both to be the best bumpers i've ever had.

And finally a big thanks to the OMOC, as without this club I would never have met the above people and simply would not have been in such a good position to source these items, in fact it is only Keith from the above list that I have never met, and further to that, it was the good members of the OMOC that dished out much needed advice about my running problems with the engine that finally led to me to get it running.

If I have left anyone out and Im sure I may well have, then i do apologise.

Many Thanks Peoples

Edited by opel2000

Clive,

Can I first say good luck to you and your partner, in your personal matters and hope her recovery is expedite.

Secondly I am greatful for people like yourself (and many others on the forum) for all the hard work you put in to the club past and present, and the indepth forum posts. This will help me tremendously when I get to rebuild my car.

All the best

Rob

Ay up Chris, how's things mate.

All lookimg good at the moment many thanks.

Managed to find 5 mins today to hack about an old back box with my old chum Mr Angle Grinder, so I now have an over axle bend which is going to save me some serious headaches, hoping to get a few bits and bobs prepared so when I get back from hospital tomorrow eve I can get the car up and get stuck in for approx 1 hour of light.

Rob, many thanks for comments mate :thumbup

Monzta... My Girlfriend simply refuses to let me sell the Skyline, been a few times when we had little cash and she simply will not let me sell it, What a girl :D:thumbup

Hi Clive,

thanks for the thanks :lol: (you know what i mean)Mate,is your engine the 2.0XE?And will you email me your addy over there Clive,i know i've been over,but due to the fact i'm f---ing old,can't remember my name half the time,and quite frequently soil my own underwear (well,you wouldn't soil any body else's would you?)i can't remember it :unsure: My email is ;

pansell@fpsdistribution.co.uk

cheers bud :thumbup

Edited by pma

Hi Clive,

thanks for the thanks :lol: (you know what i mean)Mate,is your engine the 2.0XE?And will you email me your addy over there Clive,i know i've been over,but due to the fact i'm f---ing old,can't remember my name half the time,and quite frequently soil my own underwear (well,you wouldn't soil any body else's would you?)i can't remember it :unsure: My email is ;

pansell@fpsdistribution.co.uk

cheers bud :thumbup

Ay up Paul.

Just been BACK down to the PO this morn :angry: ,,,,, 0nly 3 days after you posted the parts, bloody absolutely useless post here in Derbin (should be Derby but i like to think of Derbin as an anagram of "In Bred") Post stuff all around the world and it gets there, received items and mail constantly without a hitch, then I come to live in Derbin and it all goes to pot.

At the PO

"Weren't you in here yesterday?"

A hole, of course I was, and I OBVIOUSLY HAD to return cos the clowns couldn't seem to find my post, I mean just what the fcuk do they expect me to do? say, oh it's ok that you can't find my gift my buddy has sent me I'll just never bother with it and won't come back in here :mellow::blink:

So when they said "Weren't you in here yesterday?" and I just stared at him and said "YES" I thought "what the hell does it matter?" until he said "Oh yes you were the shouty one!" :lol: :lol: Well they should do their job properly shouldn't they

Many thanks for the parts Paul (PMA) really don't know what to say, things will turn around though and I'll see you back to rights one day mate :thumbup :thumbup

was hoping to try and get out on the car today, but weather has been just so damn useless for doing anything in, simply cannot weld in this wind, and due to being so damn close to open countryside the wind really is a pain in the ass.

Its times like this that I'm so damn glad I made good use of the good weather we had, constant thoughts were...... "This is the UK this weather aint gonna last, this could be the only good weather we get this year."

I remember a few years back when Ian Virco AKA Mantaman came on the forum harping on about the heat and sun and how we won't be able to wash our cars at Billing due to water shortages........ well that cursed it.......... Later that year Billing was nearly cancelled due to being flooded.

You have posted a message with more emoticons that this board allows. Please reduce the number of emoticons you've added to the message

What a load of CRAP!!!!!!!!

Hi mate,

really no probs at all buddy,your more than welcome,anyhow,i seem to remember someone coming all the way over from Leicester for a few days here and there to help me out! :thumbup

pm'd you.