Polar White and Rust - a restoration epic, can it even be done?

IanMc

The VBOA ( Vauxhall Bedford Opel Association ) meet is at Sywell Aerodrome, Northamptonshire. over the weekend of 6/7th July. ( the old Billing show, if you remember them).

Don't worry if you don't think your car will be show worthy. All cars are welcome and appreciated, we don't all have deep pockets.  :)

https://www.vboa.org.uk/events/49-national-rally-19

11 hours ago, IanMc said:

I will see how we go. I quite like the idea, just a bit nervous about it. 

Dont be worried about coming its a fantastic weekend with friendly poeple who all have one thing in common. We all love the cars.

Im sure you would enjoy every minute of it.

• Like 1

Ian, almost there for the paint. Are you planning on painting it in one go, as its not a metalic colour you would find it a lot easier if you haven't painted a car before, to do it in sections at a time, ie

A side at a time, then onto the boot, roof and bonnet, front and back can be done with the sides. By doing it this way you will find it a little easier to deal with the overspray, because after painting the bonnet the rest you'll probably end up doing blind folded, at least that is what it will feel like.

Good Luck!

This morning I have started to sort out all my spray 'stuff'. I seem to have everything that I will need over the next couple of days:

- Mask

- Paint filters, mixers and cups

- Spay gun with in-line oil/water filter and a 10 Meter air hose

- Tack clothes

- Paint and thinners

I'm actually starting to get really nervous now   :lol:  :rolleyes:

Good luck tomorrow, I’m sure you have your strategy all planned out, prep is key, top to bottom? How many coats are you planning?

Just noticed you have two scuttle vents in your cavalier one each side, the Manta b only has one in the passenger side.

1 minute ago, Mike. said:

Good luck tomorrow, I’m sure you have your strategy all planned out, prep is key, top to bottom? How many coats are you planning?

Just noticed you have two scuttle vents in your cavalier one each side, the Manta b only has one in the passenger side.

Thanks Mike, appreciated.

Re: the scuttle vents - interesting, I wonder why that is?

Yes, I have my plan and I hope that I can stick to it...  :lol:

The paint that I am using requires a minimum of two coats, but I may do three - will see what it looks like after two.

If it turns out OK I will show you all what I have used - if not, well I don’t know really lol

8 hours ago, H-400 said:

Succes with the paint-job!

The scuttle vents: The B1model and Cavalier has got two of them, B2 one.

B1 has got ribbed doorhandles, B2 flat. There are more details different but the nose-cone is the important one.

Herman,  You come up with  things with that I have not even noticed!!  You must have been involved in the designing of these great cars!!!

Edited by Julian

OK everyone, the first coat is on.

I have mixed feelings at this moment to be honest - and they are something like:

- I didn't put enough paint on.

- for the next coat make sure the air hose doesn't kink and pop up and rub across the paint you have just put on the bottom of the passenger front wing - aaahhh!!!

- I should have upped the air pressure a bit (to make the paint atomise better) as its a little 'blobby'

- it should have a good deep shine when done

- Hopefully the second coat goes better...

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

The paint I.m using needs a minimum of 16 hours between coats, so the second coat will be tomorrow evening now.

Fair play, wouldnt be too hot on spraying myself but have sprayed undersides before, engine bays, wheels, etc, about 100 times, 2k, cell, and lacquer, so i know enough. 

By the looks of it it is cellulose, have seen someone giving a second coat when 1st coat is past wet and just tackey. Are you gonna apply another coat without a flatten? You might be ok.

Fair play for giving it a go, i will be doing my own also. Can justify paying someone 4k for something i can do myself. The way i look at it, its all down to prep, and flattening and buffing the final top coat. If paint mixing is constant throughout, it cant be wrong! 

Thanks lads, all your help and advice is greatly appreciated.

I just had a little touch in one place and it is almost touch dry already (and only about 2 hours have passed), so on that basis I might even go for the second coat late afternoon. It all depends on how brave I am feeling   :lol:

Be careful trying another coat before the first is properly dry as the thinners soak through and you’ll get a nice crinkled textured finish. Either paint when tacky or let it dry off completely . Also time consuming but I’m with Mike if you can flat between coats you’ll get a much better finish. 

Good luck 

2 hours ago, Mickfrad said:

Be careful trying another coat before the first is properly dry as the thinners soak through and you’ll get a nice crinkled textured finish. Either paint when tacky or let it dry off completely . Also time consuming but I’m with Mike if you can flat between coats you’ll get a much better finish. 

Good luck 

Do you really expect us to believe that that is the same car that you have been working on for all these months!!!! first glance I had and I thought that you had nipped down and taken a couple of photos of my Cav;!!!! You must be really proud of what you have achieved Ian, and YES you should take it to the VBOA. By the way, what will be the point of visiting this forum after you have completed your input? it will never be the same!!!

• Like 1

OK people. I have just finished spraying the second coat with a higher air pressure (approx 50 psi) and I am much happier with things now.

It will still need another/final coat in my opinion are there are at least two places that have run and I want to make sure that there is plenty of paint to work with once I start flatting back.

As (hopefully) you can see, there is already a pretty good depth pf shine to it.

That little lot can dry off now for the next 24 hours or so, then I will apply the final coat tomorrow evening.

Perhaps it is now time to reveal the paint I chose? I have used this paint twice before on cars and found it to be good for home spraying (in terms of H&S) and it can also be brush applied for those difficult areas. I have used coach enamel paint in Gloss White.

I did some colour match tests a coupe of weeks ago and it was so close to Polar White it was incredible, so I pressed ahead.

As I have said before, the purists may be horrified - but hey its my car and my choice  :D  :thumbup

• Like 6

Just remembered, the two piece front spoiler is in the boot - still in primer... :lol:

3 minutes ago, 1200bandit said:

Is right your car your choice take a look back when you fist got it then you see how good you have done 

Thanks Wayne.

Well I guess at least it doesn’t have loads of holes in it now!  :lol:

4 hours ago, Julian said:

By the way, what will be the point of visiting this forum after you have completed your input? it will never be the same!!!

Think ian should start a restoration service when finished, or travel about completing our restorations we cant get completed. 

Seriously, its a great way to make a few extra pounds, basically, any car with a low price, weld, do body work, finish, sell, the right car can be worth it, in terms of mantas its probably a exclusive that is more sought after. 

Great work as always, need an education on coat enamel! B)B)