Polar White and Rust - a restoration epic, can it even be done?

IanMc

1 hour ago, 1200bandit said:

Have considered getting a orbital sander,Not a of money on eBay,if you have a compressor 

I do have one Wayne, but my compressor struggles to keep it fed with air, so you spend half the time waiting for it to fill the tank...

I might hook it up again, perhaps my memory has been tainted.  😂

The sticky manta has very straight panels and very little rust, pity about the paint .

what kind of compressor do you have.I have a 24 litre one .only used to blow of some dust so far

Edited by 1200bandit

6 minutes ago, 1200bandit said:

what kind of compressor do you have.

A blue one lol - seriously though, I think it might be a 9 Litre, but certainly not sure about that...

Ian, you can buy electrial orbital sanders, or at least rotary. Bought a paint buffer that doubles up as a sander, 9 and 6 inch pads, 

Problem is with air sanders, too air hungry! Need max air to even move, too much pressure will stop it dead, i hate the things! 

Go electric! 

One of those days where progress seemed painfully slow, but I guess that is still progress at the end of the day...

So these were taken in order of how things have progressed, with the last one being where I am leaving it for the night.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

As you can see the area gradually grew during the day. Basically it became clear the the right profile was going to be impossible to achieve without feathering it right out to a good edge.

Take a good look at your own bonnet and you will quickly see how complicated the profile actually is - small nightmare!

Edited by IanMc

I feel your pain .looking at the bonnet on sticky it looks good in fact all the body panels look flat and good and very little rust ‘‘tis the paint work that looks a bit rough (sorry Shaun) ,Looking at the manta its a strong manta.Its all the bits you can see that lets it down. It has 2 very small dings in the roof 

We are off out to the In-Laws later, so an early start was required to make some headway on the bonnet...

These photos show the progress through the last couple of hours. I'm pretty pleased with the overall profile of this area now.

Just as I was finishing off I noticed another low spot near to the NS rain channel - it was subtle, but it was definitely there...  :rolleyes:

Slowly, slowly....

Do you remember watching any episodes of AMerican hot rod ?

they seemed to basically cover the entire surface of every car they built with filler ( they called it bondo)and then sanded the entire car to the level it needed to be.

made every panel and gaps perfect 

don't worry Ian I'm not suggesting you start from scratch and cover the entire car but wondered if anyone has used this method as even thou it seems extreme it should produce perfect results. Theoretically better than new ?

Only major downside i can see apart from the tons of filler dust ! Is that it does make the car a one off and unique ,meaning you wouldn't be able to replace any WHOLE body panels as easily in the future !

Next time I do any larger area  repair I'm going to try it to see !

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cam.in.head said:

they seemed to basically cover the entire surface of every car they built with filler ( they called it bondo)and then sanded the entire car to the level it needed to be. 

Basically what happened to the side of my car when my dad brought in the 80s. Before he had had it, it had some scrapes down the side and the garage "fixed" it by a thick layer filler! Think there's a picture in my project thread of the wing and filler. Removed all the filler and not a mark on the metal underneath!

6 hours ago, IanMc said:

We are off out to the In-Laws later, so an early start was required to make some headway on the bonnet...

These photos show the progress through the last couple of hours. I'm pretty pleased with the overall profile of this area now.

Just as I was finishing off I noticed another low spot near to the NS rain channel - it was subtle, but it was definitely there...  :rolleyes:

Slowly, slowly....

Hi Ian.  Those rain channels, as you call them are what Vauxhall called FLUTES, I don't know when Vauxhall introduced them to their bonnets, but I bought a 1936 Vauxhall 25HP in 1954, and they were on that car, I have a photo of it, but in those days they were chromed, Just a bit of useless info!!!!.  Keep up the good work.

Edited by Julian
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Julian said:

Just a bit of useless info!!!!

Hi Julian, there is no such thing as useless information - all information is interesting.

Many thanks for sharing that!

If you want to see filler used in massive lumps then smoothed to shape, check out Hughes Speedshop on Facebook & their album titled

Pontiac Fillerbird,.  Its my mates car & he was a bit shocked to say the least when the truth behind the paint was revealed.

Don't know if this link will work....

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Hughes-Speedshop-698356200194932/photos/?tab=albums

3 hours ago, plumster said:

If you want to see filler used in massive lumps then smoothed to shape, check out Hughes Speedshop on Facebook & their album titled

Pontiac Fillerbird,.  Its my mates car & he was a bit shocked to say the least when the truth behind the paint was revealed.

Don't know if this link will work....

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Hughes-Speedshop-698356200194932/photos/?tab=albums

Crikey, that is going to take some beating! 😂

Some good progress this evening - we are getting quite close now people...

After the bonnet is finished it will be:

1) Strip off the remaining wheel arch trims.

2) Fine sand the whole car again.

3) Dust down.

4) Final check over/around.

5) Primer.

6) Top coat.

• Like 1

Just a few tiny bits to go now, the biggest of which is the center 'hump' at the screen end. It hadn't quite got enough filler on there to be able to blend it in, so I added a gnats more. Its all very frustrating of course (and very boring!!), but hopefully my perseverance will show in the end result...

Have a nice evening people.

Well a bit more was done tonight. My Wife was 'keen' to go on her exercise bike for half an hour, so more garage time I thought  :lol:  :thumbup

I am very pleased I did too as the bonnet is now very close to being finished, with just some tiny bits of stopper filler to sand down once they are dry. After that there is only the washer holes to tidy up and we are good to go.

I am pretty pleased with all the complex lines and curves now, it is certainly way better than it was before!

• Like 1

Nothing too exciting tonight, just a bit of odd jobbing really.

Finished sanding the stopper on the bonnet.

Removed the self tapping screws in both doors that hold the strip clips in place.

Drilled several new holes for the chrome sill strip clips after the recent ‘reshaping’.

Onwards!

• Like 2

I got some repaint preparation work done this evening:

1) Removed front and rear bumpers.

2) Removed front indicator lenses.

3) Removed front number plate and mounting bracket.

4) Removed rear lights.

5) Sanded the rest of the roof.

6) Brushed off a load of sanding dust from the car.

Have a nice evening everyone  :thumbup

• Like 2

Its been a fairly busy day so far:

- Both front indicator back plates removed

- Front spoiler removed

- The three remaining wheel arch trim pieces removed

- The after market (pin through the middle to expand them type) side trim clips removed from the OSF wing

- Wiper arms removed

- Sand the 'mouth' in preparation for the Satin Black paint that I had previously forgotten - Doh!! of the car

- Genewral flatting/sanding of this frontal area

- Masking up of the 'mouth'

- First coat of Satin Black

Here is a little string of photos to shown how the morning has unfolded:

Have a nice weekend everyone!  :thumbup

• Like 1

Hey Ian it's a pity you didn't just buy two cars . You would end up with two finished ones.one acceptable and to re sell and one perfect to keep !

100% dedication here .well done mate .

And yes I agree .little details make or break a restoration. I think I mentioned it before !

The satin black in the correct place on the front valance, number plates mounted correctly ,etc etc make the difference between a good looking correct car or a quick tidy up. 

To me anyway! 

It's  the age old question about originality over obvious modification. 

Peach to their own thou.

• Like 1

Excellent effort Ian.  Keep it up. The last one covered in newspaper looks a little bit like a Dodge Challenger. To me anyway.

Making some good progress on my own. I'll update soon. I' m not as dedicated as you on the car or keeping the post up to date.

Edited by Nivlek2525
  • Like 1